|Wikipedia turns Ten|
Cities celebrating in India: 8 states, 10 cities.
New Delhi |
Want to organise one? You can organise one in your city. Contact the Tenth Anniversary India Coordination page!
- 1 Wikipedia Tenth Anniversary - Bangalore planning page
- 2 Volunteers/Tasks for each activity
- 2.1 Deciding &Getting Venue
- 2.2 Getting Guest Speaker
- 2.3 Main event co-ordination
- 2.4 Delegates Registration
- 2.5 Leading parallel tracks 1 : Photography & Wikipedia session
- 2.6 Leading parallel tracks : No2
- 2.7 Leading parallel tracks : No3
- 2.8 Leading parallel tracks : No4
- 2.9 Managing merchanise & distribution
- 2.10 Lunch & Snack co-ordination
- 2.11 Registration at the venue and front desk handling
- 2.12 Media publicity & Public relations
- 2.13 Audio Visuals
- 2.14 Apply for Wikimedia Grant & Finance control
Wikipedia Tenth Anniversary - Bangalore planning page
- 15th th January 2011
- Wikipedia celebrates its tenth anniversary globally on the 15th of January 2011. Wikimedia will celebrate this milestone with volunteers, donors, and other supporters on six continents. From the launch of a new outreach project in Kenya to a film screening in Tel Aviv, there are currently 110+ events planned worldwide. Our celebration events are open to participation by anyone who wants to join in reflecting on our collective accomplishments and goals for the future.
Wikipedians and well wishers in India are celebrating the tenth anniversary in a big way, with celebrations being planned 20+ cities across India. Bangalore is one of the active hubs for Wikipedians in India.
As part of the celebrations, we are organising a day-long meetup in Bangalore on Saturday the 15th of Jan, 2011. We expect it to be attended by about 250 Wikipedia enthusiasts along with Wikimedia Foundation officials from California and guest speakers. We intend to connect Wikipedians with the general public and other focus groups in the city. There would be sessions to introduce Wikimedia projects to the public with a view to spur both consumption and creation of knowledge on various Wikimedia projects. There would also be updates from various Wikimedia projects as well as joint project planning sessions with various city focus groups. We expect active Wikipedians, academia and any one interested in Wikipedia to participate in the event. In addition, we believe there will be much interest from the Free and Open Source communities and other professionals.
- Wikimedia Community in Bangalore
National Institute of Advanced Studies,
Indian Institute of Science campus,
Agenda: Segment 1: Wikipedian Community
Time: 09:00 to 13:00
Audience: Wikipedia editors (others welcome too)
Purpose: Share Updates, experiences and Best practices
- 09:00-09:30: Introductions
- 09:30-10:30: State of Wikimedia India-> reports from all Indian Wikipedia communities. (in person or remotely)
- 10:30-11:30: Discussion: Expectations from the Chapter.
- 11:30-11:45: TEA BREAK
- 11:45-13:00: Discussion: Plans for the Year 2011.
Other potential topics
- Showcase of specific skill sets- Image creation, Map creation, DYK, Bots, Combating vandals, Running academies, Running meetups.
- Wikithon [Regional language]
Agenda: Segment 2: Connect with Special Interest Groups
Time: 14:00 to 17:00
Audience: Wikipedians and SIG members (others welcome too)
Purpose: Explore possibilities of working together and collaboration. Identify common projects.
- 02:00-02:30: Introductions and Context setting
- Teams split into respective Focus group tracks
- 02:30-03:00: Wikimedia summary talk/presentation
- 03:00-03:30: Special Interest Group's talk/presentation
- 03:30-03:45: TEA BREAK
- 03:45-05:00: Discussion to explore projects of mutual interest.
- 3-4 parallel tracks
- Each Track led by a Wikipedian and SIG volunteer
- Wikipedian Lead to be someone who has interest in the Focus group.
- Wikipedian Lead to be able to take discussions and actions forward.
Potential SIGs to connect with
- Potential groups:
- Potential Facilitators: Kalyan/Planemad
- Potential groups: BngBirds
- Potential Facilitators: Shyamal
- Potential groups: Barcampers, Mobile Monday, Open coffee club
- Potential Facilitators: Jackerhack/Logicwiki
- Art Culture & Literature - Arunram
- Archives - GKJohn
- Praja - SBC-YPR
- Wikipedia and community heath/public health - prashanth
Agenda: Segment 3: Public event
Time: 17:00 to 21:00
Audience: Everyone is invited. (Like Wikipedia, come on in!)
Purpose: Communicate Wikipedia Mission, facts, showcase its coolness, reach out to public, share India focus, discussion.
- 04:30 PM Coffee and Networking
- 05:00 PM Welcome and Introductions
- 05:15 PM Did you know (DYK) on Wikipedia & Wikipedia video snippets
- 05:45 PM Chapter update
- What is chapter, need for it, Impact on public policy making towards open access, Call for support, Current status.
- 06:00 PM Invited Talk
- Wikipedia and me or Wikipedia and society at large?
- 06:40 PM "Namma Wikipedia" - sharing of audience experience of using Wikipedia
- 07:00 PM "How I became a Wikipedian" - sharing of experiences by Wikipedia contributors.
- 07:20 PM Panel Discussion
- 08:20 PM Thank you Video by Jimmy Wales
- We can use material from the Bookshelf. -- Sundar 11:24, 31 December 2010 (EST)
- 10 second factoids by many wikipedians one by one?
- Any wikipedia(n) short video from youtube?
- Jimmy Wales videos
- Quick Q & A by public to make it interactive
- | Best of Wikipedia in Indian context and recognising people behind scenes.
- Documentary screening
- Note: Truth in numbers not advised
- Finalize celeb speaker -- en:User:Arunram / en:User:GKJohn
Fix up venue-- en:User:Arunram
Preliminary visit to venue-- en:User:Arunram, en:User:TinuCherian, en:User:Logic
- Freeze Agenda -- All
- Freeze content after reaching out to special interest groups
- Get content for Wikipedia Factoids, Best of Indian WP
- Involve with educational institutions
- Reach out to offices via posters, mail chains, social media
- Media coverage pre-event, post-event
- Documentary finalisation
- Work on pamphlet/FAQ, CDs or any give aways if possible
- Follow up on the merchandise
- Work on the Ten/Bangalore/Grants if needed.
- Hari Prasad Nadig
- Magician Philip
- Suma Nadig
- Vikram Kamath
- Avinash T M
- Thejesh GN
Volunteers/Tasks for each activity
Deciding &Getting Venue
Since time is running out, let's fix a venue quickly. Looks like IIM and IISc are out. So, between the following which one shall we prefer? (Add any new opportunities to the list below.)
- Intuit (don't know if they'll let us, good facilities, decent location)
- IIIT-B (mostly free, good facilities, away from the city)
- TERI (costs Rs.80K, great location, seats 100-200)
I have a contact in Intuit. If no one else has initiated a discussion with them, shall I? -- Sundar 07:20, 2 January 2011 (UTC)
- Arun, Srikanth and myself have been working on the venue and we visited the [www.nias.res.in NIAS] (IISc campus) yesterday.
- We found it to be very spacious (as you can see from the pictures).
- It has a nice stage and lighting equipment.
- There are multiple halls (auditorium, lecture hall and possibly another conference room
- They have a foyer that would help us have conversations between sessions.
- There is ample parking at least 75 cars can easily be parked without an issue in campus.
- There is a separate space for serving food in a buffet format.
- The institute Director and head of Admin head were gracious to accept the request I made to offer this facility to us for free.
On behalf the whole team, We are going ahead and have sent a note to them accepting the venue and thanking them for the offer. - Arun , Tinu , Srikanth. - Tinucherian 01:28, 6 January 2011 (EST)
Venue is now finalised as National Institute of Advanced Studies, Indian Institute of Science campus, Bangalore, INDIA 560012.
Getting Guest Speaker
Main event co-ordination
Leading parallel tracks 1 : Photography & Wikipedia session
I have got confirmations from PlaneMad & Saneef on this. Tinucherian 02:04, 6 January 2011 (EST)
Leading parallel tracks : No2
Leading parallel tracks : No3
Leading parallel tracks : No4
Managing merchanise & distribution
- Suma , you may get in touch with User:logicwiki (Srikanth L) , he is getting the merchandise to CIS, Bangalore address. Please co-ordinate with him . - Tinucherian 08:38, 23 December 2010 (UTC)
Lunch & Snack co-ordination
Suma, Please get in touch with Arun on this asap. - Tinucherian 01:40, 6 January 2011 (EST)
Registration at the venue and front desk handling
Need volunteers for the above
Media publicity & Public relations
We need to get the date, venue & speaker finalised before moving to the media .. Some of the publiciations where I can possibly reach out are Times of India, Bangalore Mirror, The Hindu, Mid-day, Indian Express, Oneindia.in, DNA, Malayala Manorama etc - Tinucherian 06:24, 23 December 2010 (UTC)
- I have informed the following publications
- Times of India.
- Economics Times
- Hindustan Times
- Bangalore Mirror
- Indian Express
Let me know if you have any contacts elsewhere. Tinucherian 20:59, 6 January 2011 (EST) I have got good contacts with almost all Kannada News papers and other print medias.You can contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply for Wikimedia Grant & Finance control
Apply for the maximum US $500 grant from the Foundation. Apply it here. Since I am pursuing another grant for wikievangelism , it will be better if somebody else takes it in their name. See Pune grant request for example. May be Arun,logic or HPN ( or any other volunteer if interested) can take a lead on this - Tinucherian 06:28, 23 December 2010 (UTC)
- Srikanth logic volunteered for the applying the grant. So adding his name here - Tinucherian 09:08, 23 December 2010 (UTC)