Talk:Announcements/Communication from the Executive Committee regarding first meeting on January 22, 2011
From Wikimedia India Chapter
Revision as of 18:31, 15 February 2011 by Sundar (response for AshLin)
- Why the need to protect the page? This is a Wiki and editing restricted to logged on members. It is offensive, as if you expect one of us to vandalise it.
- Secondly, please change the name "Hari Prasad HS" to "Hari Prasad Nadig".
AshLin 03:23, 15 February 2011 (EST)
- Hi AshLin. I protected the page because it is a one-time record unlike something that evolves. Do you foresee any need to edit this? Definitely no offence meant to anyone. Even if someone copyedits it, the version will cease to be a replica of a communication that *went out already*. As for HP Nadig, let me go back to my source and check if it needs to be changed. -- Sundar 04:07, 15 February 2011 (EST)
- It would be a gesture of trust at a time of distrust. In a wiki, there is no question of any one getting away with vandalism. The change can be reverted. Each edit can be tracked. You need to "Assume Good Faith" here.
- As far as the name change is concerned, the Secretary on this page is listed as Hari Prasad HS, in this page, it says Hari Prasad Nadig, please reconcile. That is what I wanted to edit.
- For a Wikipedia based community, only Arunram & HPN have given their Wikipedia user ids explicitly. Please add these to the others, including your own. In some of these blurbs, one gets the impression the EC does not consist of Wikipedians or has little interaction/commonality with them. Wherever you can, please make them more Wikipedia relevant by adding a few more details about the participation, edit count, admin or any achievements. These may be grouped together as a second paragraph below the blurb. It will help in managing perceptions by emphasising these credentials. A subheading to the second paragraph may help emphasise but you may take a call on that. AshLin 05:35, 15 February 2011 (EST)
- Fair point and while I have an ID, I am not active on Wikipedia. Gautam John 06:15, 15 February 2011 (EST)
- Thanks AshLin. I'll take your suggestions. I had put links to my userpage in the text of the blurb, but agree that it's not apparent. Have added the link separately now. In my blurb, I didn't explicitly mention that I'm an admin on the English wiki, bureaucrat on the Tamil Wiki, and an admin on Tamil Wiktionary, because I worried it may appear to be flaunting it (particularly for non-wikipedians who want to know our bios and happen to read it). Since you asked, let me tell you that I've made approximately 18,000 edits across several wikis and my bot has made 1,00,000+ uploads to Tamil wiktionary. I thought putting these and other wiki contributions will make it appear pompous. If you think otherwise, let me add some more details. Others might've thought similarly, but they'll certainly listen to your feedback.
- As for protecting this page, like I said before, it's not out of any distrust or any fear of vandalism (if you notice, I haven't protected the bio page even though it is a high visibility page likely to be used by non-wikipedians). But, because it's an archive of a letter that was sent on a particular date, if we make even a genuine change, it no longer is an exact copy of the email that was sent. That was my hesitation. If you think that might be misconstrued as lack of trust, let me unprotect it right away. -- Sundar 08:01, 15 February 2011 (EST)