Executive Committee has been working on several fronts to quickly operationalising the chapter. I am glad to share with you the highlights of the same.
- Individual: We have opened Individual Membership of the chapter last month. I am glad to report that we have received over 30 applications as of last week. As already announced, Ashwin Baindur was the first to sign up with conventional payment(Cheque payable at par at Bangalore) and Pranav Curumsey was the first one to sign up using NEFT/online transfer mode. We have reviewed the filled in membership forms and made minor updates to the form. The revised Form is updated on Wiki. The membership cards and receipts are under process for the applications received as of May 31 and are expected to be sent within a week.
- Institutional: We are ready to accept Institutional Membership applications now. I request all community members to help enroll Institutional members as well.
If you have more questions, please do check out the Membership-FAQ page. You can also contact any of the chapter EC members or on chapter's email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Wikipedia Chapter Brochure Design Contest
- We invite you to design a brochure for Wikimedia chapter in English and native languages and are happy to announce a contest for the same. The rules and regulations are as follows
- Contest open to all Wikimedians either individuals or team of upto 3 wikimedians.
- Name of the contributors to the winning entry will be credited on the brochure
- The design has to reflect the language diversity of India and have pictures or graphics representing India
- A sample design is available to provide rough guidance and also for use as interim brochure.
- A print ready file with good quality/resolution should be made available
- The design should be easy to extend to other Indian languages, by substituting few pictures and textual content. A sample design for a native language should also be made available.
- The original file should be released as per CC-BY-SA 3.0 license terms
City and Language SIG subcommittee
- We are forming City and Language Special Interest Group subcommittee of the chapter and invite all Wikimedians to participate in them. The guidelines are as follows:
- A chair person of each SIG (City/Langauge) can only represent either a city or a language
- Self nomination with recommendation by others or nominations of others and acceptance by such nominated individuals are allowed.
- Chairs of such subcommittees will interface with one EC member charged with City/Language SIG
- All such Chairpersons are required to apply for membership of the Chapter at the earliest.
- As we just started membership drive, the process is now open for community. In future, the process may be restricted to members only.
- Projects for the year
EC would like to call for active community participation in prioritising projects for 2011-12. The initial list of projects for this year is available and organised into three categories namely Outreach, Quality improvement and improve access to wiki projects. Please feel free to add to this and share your ideas. Please check the details and indicate your interest in participating in them on the respective pages.
- Wiki outreach
Chapter would like to extend all the help for any Wiki outreach events happening across India through the participation of EC members, members and community volunteers. Please do share with us news of any such events 2 to 3 weeks in advance.
Volunteers for Website and Wiki Administration
Chapter has restructured its digital resources to provide members only wiki and also streamline access management. As part of this all users on wikimedia.in community wiki need email confirmation for editing. Those from community who become members, can be given seamless access to members wiki, without need for a separate login.
Chapter is seeking volunteers to help design/administer wiki and website. People interested in these positions can send their profile giving details of their past experience to email@example.com, with subject line "Application for volunteer position for Wiki/website design/administration" by 21 June 2011.
- AGM is scheduled for 17 Sep 2011 and will happen in Bangalore.
India Wiki Conference
- EC has deliberated and come up with a framework for running India Wiki Conference with engagement of all stakeholders on a sustainable basis. We invite you to review the same and submit proposals for this year's conference in two weeks (before 21 June 2010). Chapter will evaluate the proposals and decide on the City by 30 June 2011) Additional details on Chapter support and engagement with Organising Committee are being worked out.
- Chapter is working on priority actions like appointing consultant to process FEMA approvals to receive funds in foreign currency from Wikimedia Foundation, printing of brochures and providing support for Wikimedia events. As receipt of funds from Foundation for local spending could take 4-5 months, we require financial help in the form of donations from community, members and philanthropists to increase activity levels of the Chapter. Please donate whatever amount you can. The donation form is available. If the donation is through NEFT/Online transfer, you can email the scanned image of your donation form to firstname.lastname@example.org. A receipt will be sent to you once the donation is processed. For more information, please check FAQ-Donations page.
Changes in EC
BalaSundaraRaman Lakshmanan submitted his resignation from EC citing personal reasons. EC deliberated and decided to accept the same. EC thanks him for his contribution towards registration and operationalisation of the chapter till date and would like him to continue the support to Wikimedia movement in future.
Thanks for your attention and looking forward to your active engagement with Chapter. Please do share your feedback on Wiki or through email to email@example.com.
Arjuna Rao Chavala
7 June 2011