Dear all, Greetings from Wikimedia India !
Agenda of the event included the following keynote activities:
- 'Introduction to Wikipedia, How to utilize & How to contribute' – by Wikipedia contributors.
- Panel discussions on Wikipedia and the Wiki communities led by Wikipedia contributors and academicians.
Agenda of the event included the following activities:
- Fifteen Library and Information Science Professionals were identified to participate who are serious researchers and proactive users of latest tools and technologies and were invited as resource persons as they are experts in their field.
- Uploading Images/Photos, Copyright issues, Creative Commons were also discussed. Three Telugu Wikipedians also attended the event and lent their expertise to the event. It was a learning event as all the participants did a collaborative effort "List of LIS Journals in India" available at [of LIS Journals in India].
- EVENT – Takes Kolkata (on January 24)
Wikipedia Takes Kolkata is a planned photo scavenger hunt in the spirit of Wikipedia Takes the City held in Kolkata. This event is aimed at increasing the coverage of free photographs involving the city of Kolkata so that they can be used in Wikipedia articles which need pictures, as well as promoting awareness of Wikipedia.
- IRC Discussions was held on 10th January 2016 for the bidders of WikiConference India to take questions from fellow Wikipedians on the organization of the event. (IRC Chat at [] ).
- Hosting city for WikiConference India 2016 is Chandigarh as per IRC Discussions by 18 January.
- Wikimedia India hires two admin interns – User:Jim Carter (Rudra Pratap Sinha) and User:Strike Eagle (Srikar Kashyap Pulipaka) to help in the functioning of the chapter.
- Wikimedia India hires one HR Intern - Ms Ashmita Bose in an attempt to make the organization more robust and well structured.
- Wikimedia India's Program Director Mr. Ravishankar Ayyakkannu resigned from his position.
In The Media
1. Wikimedia Foundation distances itself from Free Basics, Hindusthan Times
2. This multilingual edit a thon wants to improve Indian content on Wikipedia, DNA []
3. Wiki turns 15, free libraries a bonanza, The Times of India []
4. Wikipedia initiative Celebrating legacy of Bangalore Blue grapes online []
5. Why It's Essential To Grow IndianLanguage Wikipedias, The Huffington Post []
6. Kannada Wikipedia not on top of the charts, The Hindu []
We look forward to your continued support and active participation.
On behalf of Wikimedia Chapter (India)
Executive Committee Member