Please read the registration documents. On, request, the Chapter will be happy to send you a copy by email.
Membership Fee and Process details
- Membership is open to Indian citizens and Institutions registered in India. The annual membership fee (as on Mar 2011) is Rs 100/- for Individuals and Rs 1000/- for Institutions. The membership term runs from the date of approval of said membership and ends on 31st March of the same financial year.
- The membership fee can be paid either by DD/Cheque/NEFT/Internet banking transfer (for SBI account holders) to Chapter Bank account.
- The membership application form can be downloaded from available: Individual, Institutional
- The duly completed membership application along with payment instrument/or details of payment needs to be sent to Chapter office: Wikimedia Chapter, No. 194, 2nd ‘C’ Cross, Domlur, 2nd Stage, Bangalore - 560071.
- The Chapter membership committee will endeavour to process all applications within four weeks
- WMC reserves the right to reject membership applications, with reason. In such cases, if payment is already made, the same will be refunded without any interest for the intervening period otherwise, the payment instrument (Cheque/DD) will be returned. However, the Rules and Regulations of the Wikimedia Chapter provide for appeal in such cases in Article IV-1. “In cases where the Executive Committee does not approve the application for membership of a person, said person may appeal to the General Body at the next Annual General Meeting.”
- Cash is not accepted for membership fee.
- There are no multi year or life membership options.
- If you so desire, you can also contribute to the Society through Donations.
Individual Membership Benefits
Service to the Society
- Part of the Wikimedia Chapter and its mission.
- You can participate by voting and/or standing for the Executive Committee membership in the elections of Wikimedia Chapter
- You can represent Wikimedia Chapter after appropriate authorization in dealing with Institutions.
- Discounted prices for Chapter events that have an admission fee and publications that are paid.
- Subscription to member communication mailing list.
Institutional Membership Benefits
What kind of organisations do we accept?
Any organisation interested in the cause of Wikimedia should be welcome to become a member. Specifically academic institutions, non governmental organisations engaged in similar causes, Companies utilising Wikimedia projects for their research or building products and services using Wikimedia information and Language organisations are welcome. Please note that the list is indicative and not exhaustive.
What is in it for Institutions?
- Association with Wikimedia India to signal their interest to support Wikimedia projects India
- Way to reach out through members only mailing list or wikis to seek feedback on projects relevant to Wikimedia.
- Ability to influence/shape projects of Wikimedia Chapter that is of interest.
Cessation of Membership
Article V of the MoA lays down the ways membership can end:
- By death.
- By failing to pay annual membership fees of the Society by the end of the third month from the start of the Fiscal Year for which said fees were due; in such cases membership may be reinstated upon payment of fees, in case of all members
- By voluntary resignation, in case of all members with prior notice of one month.
- By action of the Executive Committee for any proven unprofessional behaviour or conduct, or action prejudicial to the interest of the Society. However, the the concerned member will be given an opportunity to make a case as to why said member should not be removed. The decision for removal will become effective only after it is ratified at the next Annual General or Special Meeting following the decision of the Executive Committee. Till such time as the decision for removal is ratified, said member's membership will be kept in suspension.