Communications, PR & Media Relations
The Wikimedia India chapter is forming a volunteer team to manage Communications, Public & Media Relations ( In short, Communications )and various aspects of communications (internal & external ) related to India chapter and the Wikimedia movement in India. This includes development & execution of a Communications Plan for India, digital outreach (including social media) to increase participation (both reading and editing)& awareness, all aspects of PR as well as preparation of collateral to support various outreach efforts in the country. This doesn't include statutory communications to Auditing agencies/persons, Governmental or legal bodies and the Wikimedia Foundation, the responsibilities which resides primarily with the President, Secretary and Treasurer of the Wikimedia Chapter.
The primary aim of the Communications, PR & Media Relations Team is to facilitate communication between the Wikimedia Chapter and the public including the media.
Scope of Work
Duties and Responsibilities of the team include, but are not limited to the following:
- General :
- Development of a comprehensive multi-language Communications Plan for Wikimedia Movement in India to support the Chapter's strategic objectives. This plan must include social media, digital outreach, Public Relations (PR) and supporting community and chapter outreach.
- Implementation of the Communications Plan - including measuring of results focused on growth in participation and readership within India and continuous improvement as required.
- Identification, selection and onboarding of specialised agencies as required.
- Build a close partnership with the Community and Wikimedia Foundation India Programs to support communications and media outreach.
- Participating in Global Wikimedia Communications committee and subscribed to its mailing list: email@example.com
- Communications :
- Supporting and overseeing communication with Wikimedia community which includes Chapter members, general public and media.
- Helping the Chapter Secretary in the monthly report that is send to the members and the community.
- Providing ad hoc support to the Chapter & Community on all aspects of communications as may be deemed necessary.
- Public/ Media Relations :
- Coordinating communications with the press, including press releases, interviews, and inquiries.
- Handling press enquiries and answering them.
- Build a close partnership and working relation with a network of journalists and news editors all over India and abroad.
- Maintaining a list of people willing to be contacted & interviewed by the media.
- Identify potential "media worthy" stories and getting them published into the mass media.
- Contacting editors and publishers of Wikipedia press coverage to request that corrections be published as needed.
- Public Relations (PR) to build and manage relationships with media and drive messaging that promotes participation.
- Researching press lists, monitoring and analyzing media coverage, both negative and positive.
- will be responsible for executing and carrying out PR campaigns on behalf of the chapter.
- Improve Wikimedia media coverage especially on Indian local languages.
- Supporting media coverage of Chapter , Wikimedia Foundation and Community led events and initiatives in India like Wikiconference, wikimeeetups, wikiacademies, workshops etc
- Digital Properties/Social Media :
- Digital outreach comprises how to drive awareness and education and movitation to participate in various projects from within the existing readership base.
- Social media includes managing and driving social media vehicles to drive participation (i.e., building awareness and driving traffic to Indic language editions, raising awareness of how content is created on various projects and motivating and enabling participation.)
- Maintain the official IRC channel on freenode: #wikimedia-in and regularly conduct planned IRC sessions.
- Maintain the social media properties including the ones on facebook & twitter and Youtube channels, and all Public facing Digital resources like the wiki, blog and website.
- Keeping the Wikimedia India Press kit and In the News sections on the public wiki up to date.
- Interacting with the Chapter OTRS team.
- Help and co-ordinate the Community Newsletter, WikiPatrika
- Chapter wiki team
- Chapter website team
- SW for Membership management