The Wikimedia India Chapter (Registered Name: Wikimedia Chapter) is an independent and not-for-profit organization that supports, promotes and educate the general Indian public about the availability and use of free and open educational content, which includes the ability to access, develop and contribute to encyclopaedias, dictionaries, books, images, etc.
The Wikimedia India Chapter is an autonomous entity that does not have any editorial control over content on Wikipedia and its related projects. The Chapter does not have access to the servers hosted by the Wikimedia Foundation in the USA.
The objective of the Chapter is to educate Indian public about availability and use of free and open educational content and build capacity to access and contribute to such resources in various Indian languages.
Wikimedia Chapters are independent organizations founded to support and promote Wikimedia projects within a country. Chapters are formed by people from within the community and enable volunteers to take their work beyond what they can do individually, besides providing the benefit of a formal organisational set-up. While independent, chapters are recognised by the Wikimedia Foundation.
Wikimedia India was formally approved by the Board of Trustees, Wikimedia Foundation after the recommendation of the Chapters Committee in June 2010 and India became the 29th country to host a Wikimedia Chapter. The Wikimedia Chapter was formally registered as a Non-profit Society vide Registrar of Societies, Bangalore Urban District on 03 Jan 2011.
About Wikimedia India
- Chapter Executive Committee Members
- Chapter Registration Document
- City and Language Special Interest Group Chair
- Projects - Projects undertaken.
- Reports - Periodical reports
- Contact Us
- Expectations from India chapter - Please use this page to share your expectations as wikipedians from the India chapter.
- List of Indian language wiki projects - Wikipedia is available in 20+ Indian languages and another 20 are under incubation.
- List of Wikimedia India contributors
- India Newsletter - Get a view into what Indian wikipedians are up to. Read the quarterly community newsletter.
- Government support - We have received excellent support from many State governments for our initiatives.
- Institutional Support - Support has come for Academia and other organizations as well.