Wikimania 2015 is the 11th International Wikimedia Conference, held in Mexico City during July 15 - 19, 2015.
List of registered participants, who planned to attend (with or without a scholarship from WMF or WMIN). This list helped us to coordinate travel logistics and other plans specific to Wikipedians from the sub-continent.
- 01tonythomas (scholarship recepient from WMF)
- Bodhisattwa Mandal (scholarship recepient from WMF)
- Ravidreams (scholarship recepient from WMF)
- User:Titodutta (scholarship recepient from WMF)
- Odisha1 (scholarship recepient from WMF)
- Satdeep Gill (scholarship recepient from WMF)
- Dineshkumar Ponnusamy (scholarship recepient from WMF)
- Rohini (scholarship recepient from WMF)
- Netha Hussain
- Thamizhpparithi Maari (Scholarship recipient from WMF)
- Ahmed Nisar - (Scholarship recipient from WMF)
- Syed Muzammil
- User:Surya Prakash.S.A. (WMIN Scholarship recipient)
- User:Manojk (WMIN Scholarship recipient)
A Facebook group chat was active to coordinate travel of Wikimania participants from Indian region.
Note: This is outdated content Travel to Mexico can take anywhere from 28 hours to 40 hours based on transit locations and connecting flights. Please make sure you take transits only through countries which do not need a transit visa. Otherwise, you need to spend money, effort and time for getting additional visas. Even after that getting visa may be difficult if you need to change flights in countries like UK or US. Looks like Lufthansa and Emirates flights can take you through Dubai which doesn't need Visa. Please confirm and inform others here of more such options so we book the air tickets with care.
Plan your starting date from India considering the long travel and time needed for rest / adjusting to jet lag before joining the conference. People planning to attend Hackathon or other pre-conference events can plan to arrive in Mexico by July 14th, 2015.
It looks like Indian citizens will have to personally appear for an interview at the Mexico Embassy in New Delhi. For people far away from New Delhi, to and fro flight charges plus a day's stay plus Visa fee can easily come around 25,000 INR.
Since 14th April is the last day for accepting scholarships from WMF, please be aware of this additional expense and inform Wikimania Scholarship committee if you need additional funding to meet this expense
Visa procedure obtained from Mexico Embassy
As indicated in our official website http://embamex.sre.gob.mx/india from May 1st, 2010, holders of a valid visa (any) for the United States of America (any nationality) do not require a visa to enter Mexico on business, as tourist or in transit.
Otherwise, please visit our official website to view the requirements and download the application form: http://embamex.sre.gob.mx/india/index.php/en/consular-section/visas
The reception of documents to apply for a visa is done by appointment, which should be requested online through the system MEXITEL
In this link you will need to set up an account with password, and choose the most suitable time for your appointment at the Consular Section.
The password must contain: More than 6 characters, at least one uppercase letter, a lowercase, a number or special character.
Once you access the webpage using your user name, please select the option “CON PERMISO DEL INM” if you have work permission from INM, otherwise select “SIN PERMISMO DEL INM” option. Once you have booked your appointment, you will receive a confirmation letter in your email id, which you must carry with you to the Embassy on the day of your appointment, along with the other required documents. It is recommended to request an appointment with plenty of time in advance to avoid any inconveniences.
The Consular Section is closed the last working day of the month and official holidays.
The visa procedure depends basically on the amount of applications received and it takes two working days if all documents are complete. The personal presence of the applicant is mandatory in order to take biometrics and the interview.
It is not possible to present your documents via courier or a third party.
The visa fee is payable in cash and this month is Rs 2,358.00 equivalent to 36 USD
No other payment is required.
Embassy of Mexico in India
- Passport valid for at least six months.
- Application form duly filled. (printed in one page, double sided)
- One recent passport-sized photograph (4.5 CM X 3.5 CM), white background, without glasses.
- Cover letter given by your company indicating the date in which you started to work. (or if you are student one original letter from your institute)*
- Original Invitation letter
- If you are student we need sponsor letter (the sponsor could be your father or mother)
- Personal Bank Statement (last 3 months). (if you are student you may submit your father or mother bank statement)
- Personal Income Tax Return (ITR) or Form 16 (1 year). (if you are student we require your father or mother ITR)
- Pay slips (If you are a student then father's or mother's)
- Attested birth certificate in English (If in any other language then translation is required)
- Photocopy of the passport (first and last page).
- Visa fee, Approximately around $40
* Not Mandatory if you show personal bank statement
Things to Note
- All documents submitted must reflect complete name as shown in passport.
- Personal presence of the applicant is mandatory for biometric process and interview.
- The visas are granted in two working days. If the applicants fulfil all the visa requirements, you can receive it Next day by 5PM.
- Having a Mexican visa gives the possibility to travel to the country, but the entry to Mexican territory is subject to the final decision of the Immigration and Health Authorities in the country.
- The Consular Section may request further forms of proof depending on each case.
- The Embassy of Mexico in India does NOT accept denomination of rupees 500 and 1000 for consular services.
- Please tender exact change.
- No bags or mobiles allowed inside embassy.
- No water/ toilet facility available inside embassy, be prepared.
If you are applying for a scholarship to attend Wikimania 2015 and need help reviewing it before submission, please register your name here. Experienced Wikimedians who have already attended Wikimanias will help you.
Scholarship application reviewers
If you have already attended a Wikimania and would like to review and help other Wikipedians to file a successful application, please register your name here.
Wikimania 2017*Wikimania 2016 *Wikimania 2015 *Wikimania2014 *Wikimania2013 * Wikimania2012 * Wikimania2011 * Wikimania2010 * Wikimania2009 * Wikimania2008 * Wikimania2007 * Wikimania2006 * Wikimania2005