Wikimania 2012, the 8th annual international conference, is to be held in Washington DC, United States of America on on July 12-14 , 2012. Are you attending Wikimania 2012 this year? Did you get scholarships from the Wikimedia Foundation for attending Wikimania this year? Add your name in this page so that others can know who all are traveling from India. It will help organize and get information from each other.
The following people are planning to attend :
|#||Name||UserName||Home wiki||City/Town||Scholarship (Yes/no) / Office bearer||Start Date from India||Return Date from US||Presentation/Talk|
|1||Viswanathan Prabhakaran||Viswaprabha||Malayalam||Thrissur||Yes||09 July||16 July|
|2||B. Poongothai||booradleyp||Tamil||Coimbatore||Yes (Partial)|
|3||MikeLynch||MikeLynch||English||Bangalore||Yes||TBD||TBD|| Administrator panel |
|4||Arnav Sonara||Rangilo Gujarati||Gujarati||Jamnagar||Yes||TBD||TBD|
|6||Yuvi Panda||YuviPanda||MediaWiki.org||Chennai||Contractor||TBD||TBD||The Wikipedia Smartphone Apps Story|
|8||Dr. Rajasekhar Angajala||Rajasekhar1961]||Telugu||Hyderabad||Yes||10th July||21st July|
|9||Bishakha Datta||Bishdatta||English||Mumbai||Office bearer||29 June||15 July|
|10||Sushant Savla||Sushant Savla||Gujarati||Mumbai||Yes||TBD||TBD|
|11||Anirudh Bhati||User:Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington||English||Ahmedabad||Yes|
|13||Neel Gupta||User:Mukti||English||Kolkata||No||14 May||26 July|
Presentation/Talk proposals from Indian Wikipedians/ India
* Apply for Wikimedia Foundation Scholarship. (If you don't wish to travel by own means)
- More Information : http://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/Scholarships
- Apply here https://secure.wikidc.org/wm/schols/
- Deadline : 16 Feb 2012
- Reply and confirm your scholarship acceptance. ( Once you get the scholarship selection mail)
- Confirm your travel date for Foundation approved travel agent for booking flight tickets. Please note that the delay in this may result in not getting your preferred dates.
- Are you planning to presentation/workshop/seminar at Wikimania? http://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/Call_for_Participation
- Deadline for submitting proposals: 18 March 2012
- Notification of acceptance: 8 April 2012
- Contact your personal travel agent to know the required documents for visa application for US.
- Start collecting the required documents.
- Here is a list of them. ( TBD) This list is just for informational purposes. Please check with your personal travel agent or US Consulate for complete list of documents required for B1 (Business/Meeting/ Conference) VISA.
- Your passport should be valid for at least 6 months when planning a visit.
- You will need at least 2 photos with white background and 51x51mm (please check the website for exact specs), you will also need its digital copy for uploading the same in DS160.
- Complete the DS160 form online over here for relevant US Consulate/Embassy in India.
- Then pay the Business Visa fee at select HDFC branches across India (the exact amount came to be Rs. 9027 in total in Pune), you will need to submit the copy of your passport's front and last page in HDFC while paying the fees.
- Once you pay the fees in HDFC either by cash/DD/HDFC Bank cheque, you ll be issued two copies of receipt with Barcode stickers stuck on it. Please make sure that barcode number is same on both.
- After 24 hours or so, the visa fee receipt will get activated.
- Now you need to schedule an appointment for Visa interview, this is done by selecting date at VFS Website.
- Then you need to appear for Visa interview at the date and consulate selected by you, make sure to take following documents with you while going for interview.
- Your current and expired passports.
- Photograph with the exact specification.
- DS160 Confirmation page (no need of full application).
- HDFC Visa fee receipts (blue and pink copy with barcodes on them).
- VFS interview appointment letter.
- Above mentioned documents are MUST while going for interview and for the list of supporting documents please see the talk page.
- Folks appearing for interview at US Consulate Mumbai, must submit Copy of front and last page of current passport, one photograph, DS160 confirmation page, VFS Appointment letter, Invitation letter (might not be needed, but keep it with you), VFS fee receipts at the selected VFS application centers in Mumbai, Ahmedabad or Pune at least 3 days prior to your date of interview.
- Registration is needed for scholarship recipients! Register here: http://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/Registration
- Early Registration starts: January 23, 2012
- Regular Registration starts: April 23, 2012
- Late registration starts: June 23, 2012
- Online registration deadline: July 5th, 2012
- You want to subscribe to wikimania-l mailing list to stay in touch with current updates.
- Contact Wikimania:Information Desk for some useful information
Wikimania 2017*Wikimania 2016 *Wikimania 2015 *Wikimania2014 *Wikimania2013 * Wikimania2012 * Wikimania2011 * Wikimania2010 * Wikimania2009 * Wikimania2008 * Wikimania2007 * Wikimania2006 * Wikimania2005