Wikimedia India Chapter Operations
The Wikimedia Chapter, India received formal recognition from the Government of Karnataka on 3 January 2011 under the Karnataka Societies Registration Act, 1960. The links to the official registration documents including the Memorandum of Association, Rules and Regulations and Registration Certificate are available as under:
The Centre for Internet and Society (CIS) has approved our request to continue using their office premises as the official address of the chapter till 31 March 2012. They have also agreed to offer space for hosting chapter meetings. We would like to thank the Centre for their kind gesture of support. The office address of the chapter is : No. 194, 2nd ‘C’ Cross, Domlur, 2nd Stage, Bangalore - 560071
Permanent Account Number
A Permanent Account Number (PAN) identifies all legal entities for tax purposes and is required for opening a bank account in the name of the Chapter. The application for PAN was submitted on 22 February 2011. Subsequent to the application, a PAN card was issued by the Department of Income Tax on 12 March 2011.
The Chapter has opened a savings bank account with the State Bank of India, Jayanagar and is now operational.
Messrs Nath Associates have been appointed as the statutory auditor for the Financial Year 2010-11 and 2011-12.
Chapter Executive Committee
Current Executive Committee consists of the following
- Arjuna Rao Chavala, President : arjunaraoc (at) wikimedia (dot) in
- Gautam John, Secretary : gkjohn (at) wikimedia (dot) in
- Anirudh Bhati, Treasurer : anirudh (at) wikimedia (dot) in
- Arun Ramarathnam, Member : arun (at) wikimedia (dot) in
- Srinivas Gunta, Member : srinivas (at) wikimedia (dot) in
You can contact the chapter at office (at) wikimedia (dot) in or wikimedia-in-exec (at) lists (dot) wikimedia (dot) org
Individual membership to the Wikimedia Chapter is now open to Wikipedians and Wiki enthusiasts in India. The membership form is available at
The Benefits of membership include the following:
- Service to the Society
- Part of the Wikimedia Chapter in India and support its mission.
- Participate in shaping the activities and focus of the chapter.
- Participate in shaping the activities and focus of the chapter by. Standing for open EC positionsVoting for EC positions and resolutions of General body.
- Represent Wikimedia Chapter after appropriate authorisations.
- Other benefits :
- Opportunity to network with other Wikimedians which can be helpful for your career.
- Discounted prices for Chapter events that have an admission fee and publications that are paid.
- Subscription to members only communication mailing list and wiki.(to be launched soon).
The annual Chapter membership fee is Rs 100 ( Rupees One Hundred only ) and this is for the financial year from April 1st of the current year to March 31st of the succeeding year. The fee for Chapter membership may be made by by Wire Transfer (NEFT etc,) Cheque or Demand Draft payable at par in Bangalore to the account of Wikimedia Chapter. You may send a scanned copy of the completed form along with proof and details of the payment made to the Chapter to allow us to begin processing it. However the hard copy of the original membership form (along with Demand Draft or Cheque, if applicable), should be sent, for legal documentary purposes, by post to Chapter office at the earliest.
If you have questions, please do email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Setup members wiki and mailing list and start processing membership.
- Engage the community to help design a brochure for Wikimedia chapter in English and native languages.
- Form City and Language special interest subcommittee of the chapter .
- Invite community participation in determining and executing projects for 2011-12. Few ideas to start the discussion include Specific segment outreach, Nurture language and city communities, Blog banner campaign, Article writing Contest, Article quality evaluation, GLAM and Information kiosks.
- Extend all the help for any Wiki outreach events happening across India through the participation of EC members, members and community volunteers.
- Conduct the statutorily required Annual General Meeting in Sep-2011 in Bangalore.
Further details will be shared in future communications from the Chapter.