The Wikipedia Bangalore meetup is a monthly get-together of wikipedians (contributors and users) to meet up, discuss, share experiences, reach out and advocate for wikipedia and wikimedia.
As discussed in the Bangalore Meetup 3 in July, Wikipedians in Bangalore (Bangapedians) will meet up every month on the 2nd or 3rd Sunday at 3 PM. The meetups are intended to be structured as follows —Introductions, a few focused talks by Wikipedians to share experience / expertise followed by demos and open discussions on topics of common interest.
Pre-Meeting discussions can be on the talk page please.
Date and Venue
Date: : Sunday, 12-February-2012
Time: 3:00 PM IST
The Centre for Internet and Society
No. 194, 2nd 'C' Cross,
Domlur 2nd Stage
Opposite to Domlur Club
Bangalore 560 071
Anyone interested in Wikipedia (user, contributor or curious about it). Wikipedians from any part of India or the world and anyone who is interested in Wikipedia! Meetup is open to members of all Wikimedia projects and Wikipedians from all languages. All are welcome, and we are especially interested in seeing newcomers to join the experienced Wikipedians/Wikimedians. If you are interested in coming, please add your name below.
- By Road:
- From MG Road, Brigade Road, Central Business District, Vidhan Soudha — Come straight on Old Airport Road towards Domlur, and take a Left after Steves Gym / Paratha House. Go straight, and continue straight after the Domlur BDA Complex crossroads. Further, go straight, cross bridge over storm water drain, and take Left AFTER The Energy Research Institute [TERI]. You will see Domlur Club on the LEFT. Take a right onto the SECOND lane, opposite the gate of the Club. The CIS building has a white gate and is on the RIGHT-hand side, first gate.
- From Hosur Road, Electronics City, Koramangala, Sarjapur, Bannerghatta — Take Inner Ring Road/Intermediate Ring Road towards the Domlur-Old Airport flyover. Proceed straight towards Indra Nagar by taking the flyover. Take a Left just AFTER the flyover, before the Pedestrian Foot Over Bridge [FOB]. Proceed forward and take the Third LEFT towards TERI. Take a Right before TERI and proceed as above.
- From Old Airport, HAL, Marathalli, Varthur — Come on Old Airport-Varthur Road, cross Domlur flyover, take a Right AT the flyover proceed towards IndraNagar and proceed as per above to reach.
- From Old Madras, Road, Indira Nagar, Ulsoor — Take 100feet Road [Under Metro] to Domlur flyover. Take a Right BEFORE the flyover, at the Pedestrian Foot Over Bridge [FOB]. Proceed forward and take the Third LEFT towards TERI. Take a Right before TERI and proceed as above.
- By Bus:
- From Kempegowda Bus Station [Majestic], KR Market, Shivaji Nagar, take a bus towards Old Airport, Domlur and get down at the Water Tank and Proceed as above.
- From Banashankari, Central Silk Board — Take a bus terminating at Domlur. Get down after the Indira Nagar FOB, and walk towards TERI as mentioned above. Take a bus going toward Indira Nagar. Get down before the flyover, walk towards, the Water tank, and proceed as above.
Add your name as " # ~~~ " if you have an username or else add " # Name"
- Tinucherian 13:11, 2 February 2012 (CET)
- naveenpf 07:22, 6 February 2012 (CET)
- RadhaKrishna 23:05, 9 February 2012 (IST)
- Arjunaraoc 06:07, 10 February 2012 (CET)
- ansuman 18:42, 9 February 2012 (CET)
Please list external links announcing the meet-up here.
- A presentation given on : How QR codes works. How QRpedia uses this technology. How this can help Museums (Especially for India where 22 official languages exists). How wikimedia chapter can takeup this.
- Wiki Loves Monuments discussed.
- Tweet with #WPMBL42 twitter hashtag http://twitter.com/#!/search/%23WPMBL42
Please list coverage of this event by media here.
Please upload to commons and add category Commons:Category:Bangalore Meetup February 2012
- The 42nd Bangalore Wikipedia Wikimeetup was held on 12 Feb 2012, at Wikimedia India Chapter office ( The Centre for Internet and Society), Domlur. Five Wikimedians attended the meetup.
- This time, we introduced GeoNotice on English Wikipedia for announcing the meetup on the same morning in the Bangalore area . A geonotice is a notice similar to a sitenotice, but it is displayed only to users who are physically located in some subset of the Earth. This is only a watchlist geonotice , appearing on the watchlist page of logged in users. May be we should try this at least a week ahead, next time, to catch enough attention of regular Wikipedians, and possibly on other Wikipedias too.
- Arun Ramaratnam gave a talk and demo on How QR codes works and QRPedia (http://qrpedia.org/) used this technology in an innovative way. QRpedia is a mobile Web based system which uses QR codes to deliver Wikipedia articles to users, in their preferred language. When a user scans a QRpedia QR code on their mobile device, the device decodes the QR code into a Uniform Resource Locator (URL) using the domain name "qrwp.org" and whose path (final part) is the title of a Wikipedia article, and sends a request for the article specified in the URL to the QRpedia Web server. It also transmits the language setting of the device  The crowd discussed on the possible ways of implementing QRPedia in Indian contexts and museums in India. We discussed about the current limitations and how they can be improved.
- We discussed on how to take forward the Wiki Loves Monuments initiative in India. Naveen Francis announced the registration of wikilovesmonuments.in We discussed about the MoU with National Handicrafts and Handlooms Museum, New Delhi . It was decided to follow up and close the loop in signing the MoU with the Museum. Radhakrishna Arvapally also discussed about a possible partnership with Brain Museum of NIMHANS, Bangalore (Only Brain Musium in India). Arun talked about his earlier interactions with the Government Museum of Bangalore. We need to complete this list of Museums in India. and identify volunteers to work with them.
- The Meetup was adjourned with the customary group photo sessions.