|Wikipedia turns Ten|
Cities celebrating in India: 8 states, 10 cities.
New Delhi |
Want to organise one? You can organise one in your city. Contact the Tenth Anniversary India Coordination page!
- 1 Wikipedia Tenth Anniversary - Bangalore planning page
- 2 Master task list
- 3 Volunteers/Tasks for each activity
- 3.1 Deciding &Getting Venue
- 3.2 Getting Guest Speaker
- 3.3 Main event co-ordination
- 3.4 Delegates Registration
- 3.5 Leading parallel tracks 1 : Photography & Wikipedia session
- 3.6 Leading parallel tracks : No2
- 3.7 Leading parallel tracks : No3
- 3.8 Leading parallel tracks : No4
- 3.9 Managing merchanise & distribution
- 3.10 Lunch & Snack co-ordination
- 3.11 Registration at the venue and front desk handling
- 3.12 Media publicity & Public relations
- 3.13 Audio Visuals
- 3.14 Apply for Wikimedia Grant & Finance control
Wikipedia Tenth Anniversary - Bangalore planning page
Agenda: Segment 1: Wikipedian Community
Time: 09:00 to 13:00
Audience: Wikipedia editors (others welcome too)
Purpose: Share Updates, experiences and Best practices
Agenda: Segment 2: Connect with Special Interest Groups
Time: 14:00 to 17:00
Audience: Wikipedians and SIG members (others welcome too)
Purpose: Explore possibilities of working together and collaboration. Identify common projects.
- 02:00-02:30: Introductions and Context setting
- Teams split into respective Focus group tracks
- 02:30-03:00: Wikimedia summary talk/presentation
- 03:00-03:30: Special Interest Group's talk/presentation
- 03:30-03:45: TEA BREAK
- 03:45-05:00: Discussion to explore projects of mutual interest.
- 3-4 parallel tracks
- Each Track led by a Wikipedian and SIG volunteer
- Wikipedian Lead to be someone who has interest in the Focus group.
- Wikipedian Lead to be able to take discussions and actions forward.
Potential SIGs to connect with
High Priority Action: Identify leaders who can develop background documents for SIGs.
Theme: To share the status of the language and discuss strategies Presentations made in the morning can be used as the background documents. It is important to identify the primary wikipedia of attendee and have it written on the name badge.
- Language .. Leader, Participants
- Kannada - HPN
- Telugu .. Arjuna Rao Chavala,...
- Others (tbd)
- Potential groups:
- Facilitator: HPN
- Groups: BngBirds
- Facilitators: Shyamal
- Potential groups: Barcampers, Mobile Monday, Open coffee club
- Potential Facilitators: Jackerhack/Logicwiki
- Art Culture & Literature - Arunram
- Archives - GKJohn
- Praja - SBC-YPR
- Wikipedia and community heath/public health - prashanth
Agenda: Segment 3: Public event
Time: 17:00 to 21:00
Audience: Everyone is invited. (Like Wikipedia, come on in!)
Purpose: Communicate Wikipedia Mission, facts, showcase its coolness, reach out to public, share India focus, discussion.
- 04:30 PM Coffee and Networking
- 05:00 PM Welcome and Introductions
- 05:15 PM Did you know (DYK) on Wikipedia & Wikipedia video snippets
- 05:45 PM Chapter update
- What is chapter, need for it, Impact on public policy making towards open access, Call for support, Current status.
- 06:00 PM Invited Talk
- Wikipedia and me or Wikipedia and society at large?
- 06:40 PM "Namma Wikipedia" - sharing of audience experience of using Wikipedia
- 07:00 PM "How I became a Wikipedian" - sharing of experiences by Wikipedia contributors.
- 07:20 PM Panel Discussion
- 08:20 PM Thank you Video by Jimmy Wales
- We can use material from the Bookshelf. -- Sundar 11:24, 31 December 2010 (EST)
- 10 second factoids by many wikipedians one by one?
- Any wikipedia(n) short video from youtube?
- Jimmy Wales videos
- Quick Q & A by public to make it interactive
- | Best of Wikipedia in Indian context and recognising people behind scenes.
- Documentary screening
- Note: Truth in numbers not advised
- Hari Prasad Nadig
- Magician Philip
- Suma Nadig
- Vikram Kamath
- Avinash T M
- Thejesh GN
- Bhawani Shankar Mahapatra
- Arjunaraoc 11:39, 10 January 2011 (EST)
- Santhosh KB
- Mahatab Ali
Master task list
Primary owner: Gautam John
Fix up venue-- en:User:Arunram
Preliminary visit to venue-- en:User:Arunram, en:User:TinuCherian, en:User:Logic
Re-Confirm venue with NIAS-- en:User:Arunram
- SPOC for NIAS from our side.
- Creating the banners.
- Putting up the Banners.
- Map to the venue.
- Directions on the road towards NIAS.
- Registrations for the event - only registered to get lunch. Cut off by Friday afternoon.
- Morning tea break - 50
- Lunch - 100
- Afternoon tea - 125
- High tea - 300
- Tables for Information desk.
- Arrangements for
- Main Auditorium
- Lecture hall - Lead Logic
- Charging points for halls.
Indi bloggers Blog adda My Bangalore
Things to do
- Are there enough projectors at NIAS ?
- Note : There is one in Main audi and 1 in lecture hall. 1 in conf room(subj to availability)
- Are there any entry restrictions at NIAS?
- Permission on Parking lot at NIAS
- Foyer area for high tea and snacks?
- Estimate count for lunch & snacks
- Main Audi and Lecture Hall confirmed . Can we get atleast one of the two conference rooms?
- Deal with food vendors.
- Permission required for banners / giving away flyers ?
- Prepare pre event press release
- Prepare press release for event
- Finalise sponsor list
- Finalise Budget Ten/Bangalore/Budget
- Identify treasurer for event
- Work on the Ten/Bangalore/Grants if needed.
Content: Segment 1
Content: Segment 2
- Freeze final list of special interest groups
- Reach out to SIGs and confirm their participation
- Finalize SIG lead from Team Wikipedia
- Identify collaboration themes for each SIG stream
- Create registration page for each SIG track.
- Finalise Wikipedia volunteers for these tracks.
Content: Segment 3
- Finalize Key speaker -- en:User:Arunram / en:User:GKJohn
- Freeze Agenda -- All
- Get content for Wikipedia Factoids, Best of Indian WP
- Involve with educational institutions
- Reach out to offices via posters, mail chains, social media
- Media coverage pre-event, post-event
- Documentary finalisation
- Work on pamphlet/FAQ, CDs or any give aways if possible
- Follow up on the merchandise
Volunteers/Tasks for each activity
Deciding &Getting Venue
Since time is running out, let's fix a venue quickly. Looks like IIM and IISc are out. So, between the following which one shall we prefer? (Add any new opportunities to the list below.)
- Intuit (don't know if they'll let us, good facilities, decent location)
- IIIT-B (mostly free, good facilities, away from the city)
- TERI (costs Rs.80K, great location, seats 100-200)
I have a contact in Intuit. If no one else has initiated a discussion with them, shall I? -- Sundar 07:20, 2 January 2011 (UTC)
- Arun, Srikanth and myself have been working on the venue and we visited the [www.nias.res.in NIAS] (IISc campus) yesterday.
- We found it to be very spacious (as you can see from the pictures).
- It has a nice stage and lighting equipment.
- There are multiple halls (auditorium, lecture hall and possibly another conference room
- They have a foyer that would help us have conversations between sessions.
- There is ample parking at least 75 cars can easily be parked without an issue in campus.
- There is a separate space for serving food in a buffet format.
- The institute Director and head of Admin head were gracious to accept the request I made to offer this facility to us for free.
On behalf the whole team, We are going ahead and have sent a note to them accepting the venue and thanking them for the offer. - Arun , Tinu , Srikanth. - Tinucherian 01:28, 6 January 2011 (EST)
Venue is now finalised as National Institute of Advanced Studies, Indian Institute of Science campus, Bangalore, INDIA 560012.
Getting Guest Speaker
Main event co-ordination
Leading parallel tracks 1 : Photography & Wikipedia session
I have got confirmations from PlaneMad & Saneef on this. Tinucherian 02:04, 6 January 2011 (EST)
Leading parallel tracks : No2
Leading parallel tracks : No3
Leading parallel tracks : No4
Managing merchanise & distribution
- Suma , you may get in touch with User:logicwiki (Srikanth L) , he is getting the merchandise to CIS, Bangalore address. Please co-ordinate with him . - Tinucherian 08:38, 23 December 2010 (UTC)
- Received the shipment, Hurrayyy ! - Tinucherian 07:23, 10 January 2011 (EST)
Lunch & Snack co-ordination
Suma, Please get in touch with Arun on this asap. - Tinucherian 01:40, 6 January 2011 (EST)
Registration at the venue and front desk handling
Media publicity & Public relations
We need to get the date, venue & speaker finalised before moving to the media .. Some of the publiciations where I can possibly reach out are Times of India, Bangalore Mirror, The Hindu, Mid-day, Indian Express, Oneindia.in, DNA, Malayala Manorama etc - Tinucherian 06:24, 23 December 2010 (UTC)
- I have informed the following publications
- Times of India.
- Economics Times
- Hindustan Times
- Bangalore Mirror
- Indian Express
Let me know if you have any contacts elsewhere. Tinucherian 20:59, 6 January 2011 (EST)
I have got good contacts with almost all Kannada News papers and other print medias.You can contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org - Shivaray Kotawal, Bengaluru
- Thanks Shivaray. You have my mail ! - Tinucherian 05:35, 7 January 2011 (EST)
- Please note that Media publicity activity is not limited to me alone. If you have contacts in any publications, please contact me. I can forward you the standard template which you could forward to any media publication which you know Tinucherian 08:22, 8 January 2011 (EST)
Apply for Wikimedia Grant & Finance control
Apply for the maximum US $500 grant from the Foundation. Apply it here. Since I am pursuing another grant for wikievangelism , it will be better if somebody else takes it in their name. See Pune grant request for example. May be Arun,logic or HPN ( or any other volunteer if interested) can take a lead on this - Tinucherian 06:28, 23 December 2010 (UTC)
- Srikanth logic volunteered for the applying the grant. So adding his name here - Tinucherian 09:08, 23 December 2010 (UTC)
- The grant is now applied by Srikanth. Tinucherian 01:38, 6 January 2011 (EST)