New user account creation has been disabled temporarily. Contact membership at wikimedia.in (via e-mail) if you need one.

Internet Relay Chats/Nov 10,2014

From Wikimedia India Chapter
Jump to: navigation, search
Error creating thumbnail:
libgomp: Thread creation failed: Resource temporarily unavailable

Date and Time
November 10, 2014, 9:00 pm to 10:00 pm

How to connect ?
IRC Channel at #wikimedia-in connect

Topic
EC Elections 2014: IRC with candidates

Agenda
IRC with the Election candidates.

Attendees
20+ attendees.


IRC session log

[21:00] <srinivas> Hello Everyone
[21:00] <karthikndr> hello
[21:00] <karthikndr> hi Saqib
[21:00] <mangalat> Hello
[21:00] <Saqib> oh helo
[21:00] <Saqib> surprised :
[21:00] <Saqib> how are you
[21:01] <karthikndr> cool... :-)
[21:01] == anivar [uid26373@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-kwycfvgrzifcsdls] has joined #wikimedia-in
[21:01] == Viswa2 [75fdb6a0@gateway/web/freenode/ip.117.253.182.160] has joined #wikimedia-in
[21:01] <Viswaprabha> Hi All
[21:01] <Saqib> whats up
[21:01] <srinivas> Let us wait a few more minutes to allow all candidates to join in before formally starting
[21:02] <Saqib> so you guys going to have a meeting
[21:02] <karthikndr> http://wiki.wikimedia.in/Internet_Relay_Chats Facilitator can save conversations here
[21:02] <hfactor> Hello !
[21:03] <anivar> I am from mobile . I will take 19 more minutes to reach
[21:03] == Sibi [75d7506c@gateway/web/freenode/ip.117.215.80.108] has joined #wikimedia-in
[21:03] <anivar> 10**
[21:03] <anivar> @dbsr dont wait for me
[21:04] <srinivas> OK anivar
[21:04] <anivar> @srinivas^^
[21:04] <srinivas> I request the candidates to identify themselves in the chat
[21:05] <srinivas> We can then start IRC
[21:05] <hfactor> Good Evening Everyone, This is Hiran Venugopalan !
[21:05] <mangalat> Good Evening all, I am Dr.Mahesh Mangalat
[21:06] <Krutikaa> Hello all. Krutikaa Jawanjal here. :)
[21:06] <Sibi> Hello all , This is Sibi Kanagaraj .
[21:06] == YogeshJKhandke [671d606e@gateway/web/freenode/ip.103.29.96.110] has joined #wikimedia-in
[21:06] <YogeshJKhandke> hello
[21:06] <Viswaprabha> I am Viswaprabha, one of the candidates, here. Viswa2 is a back-up login for myself too
[21:06] <karthikndr> Hello Karthik Nadar here
[21:07] <Viswa2> Hi, I am a backup login for Viswaprabha
[21:07] == anivar has changed nick to anivar-mobile
[21:08] <karthikndr> http://wiki.wikimedia.in/Internet_Relay_Chats/Nov_10,2014 I'm recording conversations as well :-)
[21:08] == anivar [~anivar@unaffiliated/anivar] has joined #wikimedia-in
[21:08] <Viswaprabha> Good
[21:08] <srinivas> Thanks @karthikndr
[21:09] <YogeshJKhandke> Hello again, Yogesh J. Khandke/ INDI-217
[21:09] <anivar> karthikndr, thanks
[21:09] <karthikndr> :-)
[21:10] <anivar> How many candidates here ?
[21:10] <Sibi> Hello Anivar , Srinivas , Hiran Venugopalan , Dr.Mahesh Mangalat,Krutikaa Jawanjal,Yogesh J. Khandke , Viswaprabha , Karthik . :)
[21:11] <karthikndr> hello @Sibi
[21:11] <mangalat> Dr.Ekbal also is here
[21:11] <hfactor> Hi Sibi
[21:11] <YogeshJKhandke> Hello, Sibi
[21:11] <anivar> Hi ekbal, hfactor karthikndr mangalat Sibi Viswaprabha YogeshJKhandke . Any more candidates here ?
[21:12] <anivar> That makes 6/13
[21:12] <YogeshJKhandke> Hello and good evening Anivar.
[21:12] <Viswaprabha> 7/13
[21:12] <hfactor> anivar: that's 7 of 13
[21:13] <anivar> Good evening YogeshJKhandke
[21:13] <anivar> Viswaprabha, hfactor thanks for correction
[21:13] <anivar> Hope we have quorum . How much needed for quorum ?
[21:13] <YogeshJKhandke> HFactor is?
[21:13] <Viswaprabha> Netha Hussain just informed she will be joining soon too.
[21:13] <hfactor> YogeshJKhandke: : Hiran Venugopalan
[21:13] <YogeshJKhandke> Ya and hellow Hfactor
[21:14] <YogeshJKhandke> Hi Hiren
[21:14] <karthikndr> I think the meeting should run as per schedule respecting the people who are here on time
[21:14] <anivar> Viswaprabha, Awesome
[21:14] == ekbal [75ce2eaa@gateway/web/freenode/ip.117.206.46.170] has quit [Quit: Page closed]
[21:14] <srinivas> We have more than half the candidates already in
[21:15] <anivar> yea . lets start . But looks like not much community here to ask questions
[21:15] == arunram [7aacc3a6@gateway/web/freenode/ip.122.172.195.166] has joined #wikimedia-in
[21:15] == ekbal [75ce2eaa@gateway/web/freenode/ip.117.206.46.170] has joined #wikimedia-in
[21:15] <srinivas> I proI agree
[21:15] <arunram> hello all
[21:15] <anivar> welcome arunram
[21:15] <ekbal> hallo
[21:15] <srinivas> I agree
[21:15] <arunram> apologies all, was stuck in traffic
[21:15] <srinivas> More will join in as we progress
[21:15] <ekbal> sorry I am taking part in a tv discussion on infant deaths in Attapadi adivasi area
[21:15] <srinivas> Hello Arunram
[21:16] <arunram> hello srinivas
[21:16] <arunram> good to see better quorum today
[21:16] <Viswaprabha> Dr. Ekbal is on a live interview on a channel. Will be here only in 30 minutes
[21:16] <ekbal> happy to see all
[21:16] <Viswaprabha> Oh, Thanks Dr. Ekbal
[21:17] <arunram> @srinivas have we started
[21:17] <anivar> srinivas, please moderate
[21:17] <anivar> i missed the start
[21:17] <Sibi> Think we can go ahead with the session .
[21:18] <srinivas> Sure
[21:18] <YogeshJKhandke> Good evening Ekbal ji, I wonder with the profile that you carry, how would find time for the Chapter, considering that even today you are available only for a short time?
[21:18] <srinivas> Questions may now be posted to the candidates
[21:18] == jayanta [~Administr@14.99.129.114] has joined #wikimedia-in
[21:18] <YogeshJKhandke> *how would you?
[21:18] <jayanta> Sorry to all, I am late!
[21:19] <YogeshJKhandke> Good evening Ekbal ji, I wonder with the profile that you carry, how would you find time for the Chapter, considering that even today you are available only for a short time?
[21:19] <arunram> ok
[21:19] == vkadarsh [75cc5e9d@gateway/web/freenode/ip.117.204.94.157] has joined #wikimedia-in
[21:19] <arunram> @srinivas
[21:19] <arunram> I ahve a requet
[21:19] <arunram> Can members have a take on queries first please.
[21:19] <ekbal> Having been in the neurosurgery department I am used to doing hard work may be 24 hrs a day. Now I dont do any clinical work. I hope inspite of other reponsibilities with the support and help from my young friends I can carry out the responnsibilities
[21:19] <srinivas> I agree
[21:20] <YogeshJKhandke> Thanks
[21:20] <YogeshJKhandke> Ekbal ji
[21:20] <anivar> arunram, sure .
[21:20] <arunram> Did we do a roll call @srinivas?
[21:20] <srinivas> Let us first give opportunity to members other than candidates
[21:20] <srinivas> Yes.
[21:20] <YogeshJKhandke> but today on an important discussion you can spend only half the time
[21:20] <srinivas> We have 7 candidates who have joined
[21:20] <anivar> YogeshJKhandke, please stop now
[21:20] == Netha [74cb9437@gateway/web/freenode/ip.116.203.148.55] has joined #wikimedia-in
[21:20] <anivar> we have a roll call
[21:21] <ekbal> Yes such emergeny can come to all.
[21:21] <karthikndr> now 8 with Netha
[21:21] <anivar> let ask members to ask questions first
[21:21] == Netha [74cb9437@gateway/web/freenode/ip.116.203.148.55] has quit [Changing host]
[21:21] == Netha [74cb9437@wikipedia/Netha-Hussain] has joined #wikimedia-in
[21:21] <YogeshJKhandke> Thanks
[21:21] <ekbal> I think all these responsibilities are inter connected
[21:21] <srinivas> 8 candidates including Netha now
[21:21] <arunram> Can you call these out @Anirvar
[21:21] <YogeshJKhandke> True
[21:21] == Tommy [704f246d@gateway/web/freenode/ip.112.79.36.109] has joined #wikimedia-in
[21:21] <anivar> arunram, srinivas , cn do the rollcall ?
[21:21] <arunram> ok sure, whoever
[21:22] <anivar> Lets start from arunram .
[21:22] == Tommy has changed nick to Guest91788
[21:22] <YogeshJKhandke> 21.21
[21:22] <Viswaprabha> Oh come on! I am Viswaprabha INDI -0173
[21:22] <YogeshJKhandke> Yogesh J Khandke INDI-217
[21:22] <YogeshJKhandke> good evening
[21:22] <YogeshJKhandke> all
[21:22] <mangalat> Dr.Mahesh Mangalat INDI466
[21:22] <anivar> followng Barras Krutikaa Saqib vkadarsh
[21:23] <Sibi> Sibi Kanagaraj INDI - 405
[21:23] <Krutikaa> Hello
[21:23] <karthikndr> Karthik - INDI 222 from Mumbai
[21:23] <Saqib> anivar ?
[21:23] <hfactor> Hiran Venugopalan - INDI - 429
[21:23] <Krutikaa> Its my first time on IRC
[21:23] <anivar> Krutikaa, wait for your slot to ask questions .
[21:24] <anivar> arunram, Do you have any questions to ask ?
[21:24] <Netha> Netha Hussain INDI-292
[21:24] <vkadarsh> VK Adarsh - INDI -456
[21:24] <arunram> sure I can
[21:25] <karthikndr> @Krutikaa you are ofcos not new to the community :D
[21:25] <anivar> Guest91788, can you identify yourself
[21:25] <arunram> arunram INDI -003
[21:25] <YogeshJKhandke> Hi Krutika we've met at a couple of meetups including one that happened on Karthik's birthday
[21:25] <arunram> First of all on behalf of the members I would like to thanks Elecom for organizing this IRC.
[21:25] == brownhairgirl [7aa2409b@gateway/web/freenode/ip.122.162.64.155] has quit [Ping timeout: 246 seconds]
[21:26] <arunram> I wish we had more members on this IRC asking you queries to examine your candidatures and understand your experience better.
[21:26] <Krutikaa> Haha! True, true. I said on IRC
[21:26] == gem [~nandaja@122.167.89.39] has joined #wikimedia-in
[21:26] <arunram> I want to thank all candidates for their participation today
[21:27] <arunram> let me get the ball rolling.....
[21:27] <anivar> gem, Roll no please
[21:27] <arunram> WHat is the main capability each of you bring to the EC of elected?
[21:28] <arunram> *if
[21:28] <YogeshJKhandke> You're welcome Arun
[21:28] <srinivas> Question noted from arunram, candidates can share their views for the record
[21:28] == gem_ [~nandaja@122.167.89.39] has joined #wikimedia-in
[21:28] <arunram> thanks @YogeshJKhandke
[21:28] == gem [~nandaja@122.167.89.39] has quit [Quit: Leaving]
[21:28] == brownhairgirl [7aa2409b@gateway/web/freenode/ip.122.162.64.155] has joined #wikimedia-in
[21:29] == gem_ has changed nick to gem
[21:29] <arunram> can we get craacking in the interest of time. I have a lot of queries to you all.... :)
[21:30] <anivar> ekbal, hfactor karthikndr mangalat Netha Sibi Viswaprabha Answer in order All of you have 2 mins time to answer this
[21:30] <karthikndr> @arunram I would like to answer first
[21:30] <anivar> Keep posting . dont wait for others
[21:30] <YogeshJKhandke> The desire, the honesty and the prepradness to provide an emic perspective.
[21:31] <Viswaprabha> I earnestly believe that having been more than a three decade on the computer world, more than a decade on the Wikimedia environment, more than 3 years within the chapter and two years on the EC, makes me feel qualified to be an EC again.
[21:31] <YogeshJKhandke> *Preparedness
[21:31] <arunram> I think in the interest of time all candidates can answer in parallel, this is IRC
[21:31] <anivar> arunram, +1
[21:31] <karthikndr> Its the experience and the passion for the movement
[21:31] <srinivas> waiting for candidates to respond ...
[21:31] <ekbal> I may be an ode man out by age and being non IT trained person. However, I have been talking and writing on Wiki related issues for the last two decades
[21:32] <Sibi> Planning and organistional effeciency along with grass root movement .
[21:32] <ekbal> And my experience as VC Kerala University, Planning Board etc can be used to further stregthen Wikimedi India Chapter functioning
[21:32] <ekbal> Also I am associated with the larges grassroot movement KSSP in Kerala
[21:33] == Krutikaa [7aaa1085@gateway/web/freenode/ip.122.170.16.133] has quit [Ping timeout: 246 seconds]
[21:33] <mangalat> being an academic for almost three decades and coordinated acacdemic activities at national and internationla level,such as conferences and experience in academic planning, I wish I would be able to contribute in wikimedia
[21:34] == techfiz [67e361df@gateway/web/freenode/ip.103.227.97.223] has joined #wikimedia-in
[21:34] == Krutikaa [7aa937be@gateway/web/freenode/ip.122.169.55.190] has joined #wikimedia-in
[21:34] <Netha> I can bring my experience in GLAM and outreach to the EC. My best capability is my experience in working with gender gap and science related projects.
[21:34] <hfactor> Capacity to work as a team, along with the community. And my experience of working with community and in advertising industry will help me to contribute to the chapter.
[21:34] == Pavithra [67e361df@gateway/web/freenode/ip.103.227.97.223] has joined #wikimedia-in
[21:34] <ekbal> With such enthusiasm and committment around I am sure that Wikimedia India chapter is poised for a great leap forwards
[21:35] <anivar> Hope everyone completed .
[21:36] <karthikndr> my experiemce in organisaing from local events like photowalks to international events like Wiki Loves Monuments...where the community have been involved more in all way
[21:36] <Sibi> Having worked with Free software movement at ground level , can extend the same ,
[21:36] <arunram> may I know who is @hfactor
[21:36] <hfactor> arunram: Hiran Venugopalan :)
[21:36] <arunram> can you change you nick to you candidate name for other members to identify you from the logs
[21:36] <anivar> arunram, He already introduced , it is Hiran Venugopalan
[21:37] <arunram> please consider changing nick
[21:37] <anivar> arunram, many have registered nicks in freenode
[21:37] <karthikndr> off.. finally got to know who is @hfactor :D
[21:37] <arunram> @srinivas which candidates are missing
[21:37] <YogeshJKhandke> HFactor is his user name, fair enough, it is there on his profile
[21:37] <arunram> from the IRC tonight
[21:37] <anivar> 8/13 are here .
[21:37] <arunram> May we please know who are missing.
[21:38] <hfactor> will rename, let me exit from other irc rooms.
[21:38] <arunram> @hfactor you made a good point about team work. that is key to a functional EC
[21:39] == hfactor has changed nick to HiranVenugopalan
[21:39] <anivar> Next question please
[21:39] <arunram> @karthikndr @viswaprabha thankss for your response, what would you do differently this time around as you were an EC earlier
[21:40] <srinivas> Any other responses ? Anything to add
[21:41] <srinivas> Yes. We can move to next question
[21:41] <arunram> @srinivas let us wait a bit
[21:41] <anivar> arunram, after this question . lets give opportunity for other members to ask questions . We will come back to you after all people finished one round
[21:41] <ekbal> hoping to meet you all important to such energetic youngsters to get re charged!
[21:41] <ekbal> "important to meet "
[21:41] <arunram> @anirvar what about followup questions
[21:42] <karthikndr> @arunram I would like to focus on more innovative projects in coming years..m sure the international community would appreciate and involve along with us
[21:42] <anivar> arunram, you can ask after one round is completed
[21:42] <Viswaprabha> To me, mostly, it will be a continuum of what we have been trying to accomplish amidst all the obstacles. We have just started to break-even from a point of critical threshold.
[21:42] <karthikndr> also, would focus more on the legal aspects which will enable the chapter to be less dependant on one single organisation
[21:43] <arunram> @viswaprabha perhaps not much was accomplish from the last EC
[21:43] == brownhairgirl [7aa2409b@gateway/web/freenode/ip.122.162.64.155] has quit [Ping timeout: 246 seconds]
[21:43] <arunram> thats my view as a member, perhaps some concrete suggestions for the next term would inspire members to support
[21:44] <Viswaprabha> A more detailed perspective is already presented at the QA page
[21:44] <arunram> ok thanks
[21:44] <arunram> @srinivas perhaps the next member can ask a query, I will wait my turn fr further questions
[21:45] <YogeshJKhandke> Netha with respect to http://www.newindianexpress.com/cities/bangalore/Wikipedia-does-its-bit-for-sexual-minorities/2014/07/15/article2331490.ece an illegal activity in India why does the chapter focus on it?
[21:45] <arunram> @srinivas can we have members first please.
[21:45] <anivar> Anyone else have have questions ? Krutikaa gem vkadarsh , techfiz . Ask your questions(if any ) and mention your membership no
[21:46] <arunram> perhaps another iRC if candidates want a debate between themselves
[21:46] <Viswaprabha> Yogesh, whose perspective is that "That it is an illegal activity that a Wikipedian promotes"
[21:46] <vkadarsh> any new/innovative plan for this term?
[21:46] <ekbal> i dont think a debate is necessary
[21:46] <YogeshJKhandke> Netha ji http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Internet,_nobody_knows_you%27re_a_dog Wikipedia editors are all anonymous by default
[21:46] <srinivas> Is there any question from non-candidates ? we can take them first
[21:46] <Viswaprabha> Yes
[21:46] <arunram> @srinivas I do, when other members are done
[21:47] <YogeshJKhandke> What is the scheduled closure of this session Anivar
[21:47] <anivar> arunram, conitinue . If anyone else is having question please ask
[21:47] <YogeshJKhandke> *When
[21:47] <anivar> YogeshJKhandke, 9-10:30
[21:47] <arunram> ok will do thanks
[21:48] <ekbal> 1030 or 10 [21:48] <anivar> ekbal, 10:30 is announced time
[21:48] <Netha> @YogeshJKhandle : Neither I, nor the chapter did not engage in any illegal activity in India. I understand that the India Chapter focuses on increasing the diversity of content and participation on Wikimedia, and I uphold the same.
[21:48] <srinivas> The next question from vkadarsh
[21:48] <techfiz> hi all /me Omshivaprakash Membership No: INDI-497 - Here is my question to all contestants - How would you ensure that the SIG groups are active, formalized and always connected to EC - community? How you're planning to manage the work flow?
[21:50] <arunram> @YogeshJKhandke While I respect you need to ask queries and clarify, I find your responses on email lists, manner of querying other candidates a little abrasive, How do you think despite your good capabilities if elected this approach of yours would help build good team spirit and comaraderie with other members
[21:50] <srinivas> Next question from vkadarsh raised at 21:45
[21:50] <YogeshJKhandke> Thanks Anivar, Why the focus on areas that are illegal in India? How can editors face discrimination? How about the larger picture of the systemic biases that Wikipedia English acknowledges, and why the limited resources spent as you've done?
[21:50] <YogeshJKhandke> Netha Ji
[21:51] <anivar> YogeshJKhandke, You already asked such questions in Q& A Page and candidates have time to answer it till 15th
[21:51] <Viswaprabha> Yogeshji, please respect the queue
[21:51] <ekbal> with the willingness to work hard work flow management will not be difficult. we have now an effecient project manager also
[21:51] <anivar> YogeshJKhandke, lets focus on new questions
[21:51] == Sowmyan [7ab2f1b9@gateway/web/freenode/ip.122.178.241.185] has joined #wikimedia-in
[21:51] == webchat [0ec3f1e7@gateway/web/freenode/ip.14.195.241.231] has joined #wikimedia-in
[21:51] <anivar> techfiz, have a question and you all have 3 minutes to answer it
[21:52] <YogeshJKhandke> You are right, some may consider it frank and honest and be happy with it
[21:52] <srinivas> There are 2 registered questions now 1 from vkadarsh and 1 from Omshivprakash
[21:52] <YogeshJKhandke> Like I am
[21:52] <Viswaprabha> VKAdarsh, I have elaborated on the new plans that the Chapter should work upon, from my perspective, at the QA page.
[21:52] <anivar> Repeating question : How would you ensure that the SIG groups are active, formalized and always connected to EC - community? How you're planning to manage the work flow? . Question by techfiz
[21:52] <arunram> good query @techfiz aka om
[21:53] <karthikndr> Hi @techfiz, I understand your concern.. the SIG structure has lost its phase since last year... Yes, in coming year they have to be formalised... from the last meeting in Bangalore with the community, what we have understood is that a frequent formal is mandatory
[21:53] <anivar> vkadarsh, 's Question is any new/innovative plan for this term?
[21:53] <HiranVenugopalan> techfiz: Thanks for the question. I personally think that the SIG we not that active or made impact as expected. I seriously think it needs a proper restructure in it's format and it should ensure more impact, result and community interaction. It has to go grass root level.
[21:53] <karthikndr> to keep the community growing
[21:53] <YogeshJKhandke> Anivar the first question too was a repeat, about what we bring to the Chapter...
[21:53] <karthikndr> and keeping everyone active
[21:53] == Saqib [uid13941@wikivoyage/Saqib] has left #wikimedia-in []

[21:54] <anivar> YogeshJKhandke, true .
[21:55] <srinivas> Question can be interpreted differently
[21:55] <Sibi> Response to , <vkadarsh> any new/innovative plan for this term? Not aiming at events at large scale . Concentring more on community building activites within each languague commuity
[21:55] <arunram> wonderign why the responses are too slow
[21:56] <srinivas> It is upto candidates to decide if they want to add anything as answer
[21:56] <YogeshJKhandke> Queue
[21:56] <arunram> @srinivas I beg to disagree, we need responses, abstain are not fine.
[21:56] <anivar> Netha, Sibi ekbal waiting for your answers
[21:57] <anivar> YogeshJKhandke, your answer too
[21:57] <arunram> *abstains
[21:57] <ekbal> i think i responded
[21:57] <Sibi> Typing answer for techfiz's query . Please wait
[21:57] <Netha> @techfiz : The SIGs need restructuring. The Chapter should facilitate frequent meetups (both online and offline) to strengthen group activities. I would suggest the model of usergroups affiliated by the WMF, but with less formality.
[21:58] <anivar> mangalat, too
[21:58] <mangalat> I feel that the wkimedia has two fold responsibilities,adminstrative and academic.
[21:58] <mangalat> academic,scholarship can not be neglected
[21:58] <HiranVenugopalan> Answering vkadarsh, My priorities to work cloesly with community, improve the work format, learn from past and adapt best methods and to position the brand so that it will get more impact, popularity and visibility.
[21:58] <arunram> @netha the issue is not the model but a disengaged membership due too lack of serious activities/projects in the last terms except a few
[21:59] <mangalat> that would end up in a sub standard content generation
[21:59] <Sibi> THe SIG should be made to feel that EC and WMIN takes them seriously and plan on small scale .
[21:59] <YogeshJKhandke> Widen the base, increase outreach activities and increase membership
[21:59] <mangalat> community need to be properly guided
[21:59] <Sibi> THe SIG should be made to feel that EC and WMIN takes them seriously and plan on small scale .
[21:59] <YogeshJKhandke> Widen the base, increase outreach activities and increase membership
[21:59] <mangalat> community need to be properly guided
[21:59] <vkadarsh> <HiranVenygopalan> good
[21:59] <Netha> @vkadarsh : My first priority is to strengthen the language communities and increase the number of active Indian Wikimedians.
[21:59] <YogeshJKhandke> My mantra is one college per week that would be 104 colleges,
[22:00] <anivar> ekbal, you missed answering techfiz's question on SIGs .
[22:00] <Viswaprabha> Apart from restructuring, SIGs can have brisk activities only if the populations within those groups themselves are above the critical count. Hence, from the Chapter, it is also important to ensure more participation from true Wikipedians and sincere contributors at large.
[22:00] <YogeshJKhandke> Are you happy with my answer techfiz
[22:00] <arunram> @mangalat community needs to be guided?!
[22:00] <mangalat> YES
[22:01] <ekbal> EC should intereact SIG more should not appear to be bureacratic
[22:01] <mangalat> community is generating the content
[22:01] <vkadarsh> <mangalat> sir, How?
@ChanServanivaranivar-mobilearunramBarrasBarras2ekbalgemGuest91788HiranVenugopalanjayantakarthikndrKrutikaamangalatNethaPavithraSibiSowmyansrinivastechfizViswa2Viswaprabhavkadarshwebchatwm-bot4YogeshJKhandkeYuviPanda
[22:01] <techfiz> arunram: +1 It it also not about the meetups its about engaging the SIG's karthikndr Netha HiranVenugopalan thanks for the answers. There has to be a serious engagement between EC and SIG's to work with the community on serious projects
[22:01] <YogeshJKhandke> Would you please elaborate Ekbal ji
[22:01] <arunram> @mangalat I would perhaps say community needs to be "supported".
[22:02] == webchat [0ec3f1e7@gateway/web/freenode/ip.14.195.241.231] has quit [Ping timeout: 246 seconds]
[22:02] <vkadarsh> <arunram> +1 [22:02] <ekbal> Should not keep aloof
[22:02] <Netha> @arunram : I agree there, but I strongly feel that the model needs restructuring to make it less formal and more inviting.
[22:02] <karthikndr> @arunram I agree..let the community grow naturally...just lending pretty small supports often will enable them to do much better projects
[22:03] <Sibi> @arunram , vkadarsh , techfiz . Have answered the questions . If further details are required from my answers , please let me know .
[22:03] <techfiz> YogeshJKhandke: increasing the outreach activities might be a burnout. Increase in memebership to SIG etc requires work around creating trust in wiki community.
[22:03] <YogeshJKhandke> I dont understand you techfiz
[22:03] <ekbal> I think some more SIGs may necessary like those working on IPR issues more specifically
[22:03] <vkadarsh> increasing the outreach activity should get priority
[22:04] <ekbal> Yes agree <vkadars>
[22:04] <techfiz> YogeshJKhandke: I have been doing outreach all alone as a SIG. Increasing my activity alone might not be a great help. (Thats what I meant by burn-out)
[22:04] <arunram> @srinivas can I ask the next query
[22:05] <YogeshJKhandke> There wont be burnout if such activites are shared,
[22:05] <Sibi> Outreach alone will not work out in my opinion . There has to be follow up . Concentrate on 3-4 colleges , build a model which can be replicated .
[22:05] <YogeshJKhandke> Of course Sibi, there has to be follow up,
[22:05] <ekbal> May be we may have organise activities on a time bound campaign mode to inspire enthuse and draw in more activists
[22:05] == mangalat [75cb408f@gateway/web/freenode/ip.117.203.64.143] has quit [Ping timeout: 246 seconds]
[22:05] <YogeshJKhandke> outreach without followup is a waste
[22:06] <techfiz> Sibi: WMIN will take serious contributors seriously for sure. yes, it needs followups and hand-holding and support from EC
[22:06] <ekbal> Yes follow up and monitoring of activities, understanding our stregth as well as learning from our mistakes are important
[22:06] <anivar> Can I ask a question as a member ? I hope i am allowed for that .
[22:06] <YogeshJKhandke> Shoot
[22:06] <arunram> @techfiz good points....
[22:06] <vkadarsh> How can can attract new netizens to these activities needs to be addressed
[22:06] <HiranVenugopalan> The current SIG looks like a "grant provided" and not like something connected to community. The impact and image it built should be changed in such a way that people should understand WMIN is also part of community.
[22:06] <HiranVenugopalan> *grant provider
[22:06] <jayanta> @anivar, yes!
[22:06] <arunram> go ahead @anirvar
[22:06] <Sibi> @Yogesh //There wont be burnout if such activites are shared,// +1
[22:07] <anivar> After adarsh's question
[22:07] <YogeshJKhandke> Thanks Sibi
[22:07] <techfiz> HiranVenugopalan: +1
[22:07] <vkadarsh> qn
[22:07] <ekbal> Providing grands where necessary without having the image of a "Grand Provider" alone is a great challenge but can be solved
[22:07] <ekbal> Sorry grant
[22:08] <arunram> @HiranVenugopalan that is not the way the SIGs were designed to work or run.... theu were meant to have active EC engagement and participation.
[22:09] <YogeshJKhandke> @vkadarsh I feel outreach with followup is the key to attract newcomers
[22:09] <techfiz> arunram: thanks for adding to my points and explaining :)
[22:09] == mangalat [75ce0dd7@gateway/web/freenode/ip.117.206.13.215] has joined #wikimedia-in
[22:09] <arunram> just for the sake of some threading can we have @srinivas every question again so candidates can answer, then he announces the next query....
[22:09] <YogeshJKhandke> I dont understand
[22:09] <HiranVenugopalan> arunram : It looks that way. And I'm sure it's designed to work and run closely with community. And the image is solvable, so does the result.
[22:09] <arunram> @techifiz you are welcome
[22:09] == brownhairgirl [7aa2970d@gateway/web/freenode/ip.122.162.151.13] has joined #wikimedia-in
[22:10] == Saqib [uid13941@wikivoyage/Saqib] has joined #wikimedia-in
[22:10] <anivar> While going through candidate profiles i felt we have new candidates with wide variety of expertise in various domains apart from people with in -wiki experience . How are you going to use this experience domains to the growth of free knowledge in india . This is specifically for new candidates . For repeat term candidates i want to ask another question . How are you judging your last term performance . Answers need to be brief :-)
[22:10] <arunram> @HiranVenugopal the sad part is most people havent seen any SIG function well due to EC and member apathy. it is isnt the model by stakeholder engagement
[22:11] <Netha> @vkadarsh : Netizens most frequently use social media and e-mail services. The Chapter should bring potential Wikimedians from these platforms to Wikimedia by online outreach.
[22:11] <ekbal> -- ♪Karthik♫ ♪Nadar♫ 22:18, 10 November 2014 (IST) Yes agree with <Netha>
[22:11] <anivar> YogeshJKhandke, is not answered most of the questions . I hope , he will start respondinf first
[22:11] <arunram> @anirvar that is 2 questions is one. You should wait in a queue too :) LOL
[22:12] <YogeshJKhandke> I hope to bring my skills as an entrpreneur/ manager so as to make the chater more active, the capacity to take ownership and deliver
[22:12] <vkadarsh> <netha> good approach
[22:12] <YogeshJKhandke> Anivar?
[22:13] <mangalat> my work basically is in the academics.but that cover a lot of areas such as langauage and literature,culture studies,folklore,theatre and drama
[22:13] <anivar> arunram, true . agreeing with that . But first is a question to new term candidates and second is for people contesting for repeat term . So all have equal opportunity to answer
[22:13] <mangalat> i would be able utilise my experience in these areas
[22:13] <arunram> @anirvar ;-)
[22:13] <mangalat> as well as my experience in academic planning and implimentation
[22:13] <karthikndr> @anivar the first year was better with more than 50 activities during the year and with projects like WLM, NCERT, and so much on record...however the last year has been more chanlenging in terms of both involving the community and also the financial chanllenge
[22:14] <karthikndr> however hiring Ravi was one great thing and took long time again challenging
[22:14] <arunram> @karthikndr nothwithstanding financial and other hurdles who not some no cost projects?
[22:14] <HiranVenugopalan> Answering vkadarsh's second question, in my experience, I have seen many netizen's considering wiki as a very academic place or "it's risky to edit", we need to do proper camapaign targetting such netizens to change that perspective.
[22:14] <techfiz> Netha: social engagement would surely help the movement earn some new wikipedians. It needs to be planned and driven.
[22:14] <karthikndr> harsh meetings with WMF turned out to be positive and the chapter again got on the movement....thus it was full of ups and downs, however now in the upward strech
[22:14] <Sibi> @anivar . My area has been Free Software movement . Having been in this for nearly 6 years , I would try to port it to Free Knowldge movement . For the past 2 years have tried to take up the questions of Gender gap in Free Culture movements .Grass root momentum can be brougth for organic growth of the movement and community
[22:14] <YogeshJKhandke> @Anivar AFAIK i've taken every catch, please be kind enough to repeat any that i've missed
[22:14] <Netha> @anivar : With my expertise in medicine, I have learnt to be an effective communicator and an event manager. I hope to take these qualities to the Chapter which will hopefully help in community building and outreach.
[22:15] <srinivas> 2 more minutes for current set of questions
[22:15] <srinivas> We have time for 1 / 2 more questions at most now
[22:15] <YogeshJKhandke> @Anivar AFAIK i've taken every catch, please be kind enough to repeat any that i've missed
[22:16] <srinivas> Preference to those who have not asked yet
[22:16] <ekbal> <Netha> what is you specifality in medicine?
[22:16] <srinivas> Rest of the questions can be put up on Q&A to be answered till 15th Nov.
[22:16] <HiranVenugopalan> Having 'some' experience in Social/New Media campaigns I think it is easy task to make these netizes more interested in Wiki and free culture!
[22:16] <karthikndr> @arunram no cost projects were still happening..however, thingscould have been much bigger like more glam activities which involves a dedicated person, travel, etc.. especially the Netional Museum whoch you attended in New Delhi..I'm sure that was much fruitful in terms of the trsu we have eanred back
[22:16] <karthikndr> earned*
[22:16] <Netha> @techfiz : +1. I understand that if the planning is done effectively, we could make wikimedia-editing viral. To the point that we increase the editor base a hundredfold. I would like to spearhead the online outreach project after collecting inputs and ideas from the community and by applying my own expertise in this field.
[22:16] <Sibi> If any member feels that their question has not been properly addressed , please let me know with a @Sibi tag
[22:17] <brownhairgirl> @Netha , what did you mean by "Neither I, nor the chapter did not engage in any illegal activity in India.". Have you or Chapter indulged outside India ?.
[22:17] <anivar> YogeshJKhandke, anyway time for that is over
[22:17] <anivar> brownhairgirl, can you tell your roll no first
[22:17] <srinivas> Question not appropriate
[22:17] <YogeshJKhandke> 22.30 we still have time, and I've not missed any questions
[22:17] <YogeshJKhandke> AFAIK
[22:17] <srinivas> Can be reworded
[22:18] <brownhairgirl> whose question not app ?
[22:18] <brownhairgirl> @dbsr
[22:18] <anivar> brownhairgirl, identify with your chapter roll no first . while asking question
[22:18] <brownhairgirl> pls reword it
[22:18] <YogeshJKhandke> Of course Netha ji you didnt indulge in illegal activity, but why the focus?
[22:18] <Netha> @brownhairgirl : Since YogeshJKhandke's question was about activities within India, I mentioned so. Let me be clear that I did not engage in any illegal activity within India. The Chapter, to the best of my knowledge, did not engage in any illegal activity so far, either.
[22:19] <Viswaprabha> Brownhairgirl, You need to dentify first if you want to ask a question or to get involved in any discussions. You are free to read and watch even without that.
[22:27] <anivar> No problem . You missed rants by Brown girl
[22:27] <anivar> <brownhairgirl> @Netha , what did you mean by "Neither I, nor the chapter did not engage in any illegal activity in India.". Have you or Chapter indulged outside India ?.
[22:28] <anivar> <anivar> YogeshJKhandke, anyway time for that is over
[22:28] <anivar> <anivar> brownhairgirl, can you tell your roll no first
[22:28] <anivar> <srinivas> Question not appropriate
[22:28] <anivar> <YogeshJKhandke> 22.30 we still have time, and I've not missed any questions
[22:28] <anivar> <YogeshJKhandke> AFAIK
[22:28] <anivar> <srinivas> Can be reworded
[22:28] <anivar> <brownhairgirl> whose question not app ?
[22:28] <anivar> <brownhairgirl> @dbsr
[22:28] <anivar> <anivar> brownhairgirl, identify with your chapter roll no first . while asking question
[22:28] <anivar> <brownhairgirl> pls reword it
[22:28] <anivar> <YogeshJKhandke> Of course Netha ji you didnt indulge in illegal activity, but why the focus?
[22:28] <anivar> <Netha> @brownhairgirl : Since YogeshJKhandke's question was about activities within India, I mentioned so. Let me be clear that I did not engage in any illegal activity within India. The Chapter, to the best of my knowledge, did not engage in any illegal activity so far, either
. [22:28] <anivar> <Viswaprabha> Brownhairgirl, You need to dentify first if you want to ask a question or to get involved in any discussions. You are free to read and watch even without that.
[22:28] <anivar> <Viswaprabha> I don't think anyone needs to even bother about questions raised by unidentified people.
[22:28] <anivar> <brownhairgirl> So you have engaed outside India ?
[22:28] <anivar> <YogeshJKhandke> I dont claim you indulged in illegal activities, why does the Chapter play of the fringes when there is so much to be done as you say increasing membership 100 fold
[22:28] <anivar> <YogeshJKhandke> Netha Ji
[22:28] <anivar> <anivar> nobody answer brownhairgirl until identify . ignore it
[22:28] <anivar> <YogeshJKhandke> Netha Ji
[22:28] <anivar> <Netha> @anivar : Thank you.
[22:26] == Karthikndr [01270184@gateway/web/freenode/ip.1.39.1.132] has joined #wikimedia-in
[22:26] <YogeshJKhandke> 10 percent 120 million
[22:26] <srinivas> We can take 1 last question. Open to anyone
[22:27] <arunram> query to all candidates: What will you do to create an active, motivated and engaged membership
[22:27] <YogeshJKhandke> that is more than the population of most countries Sibi
[22:27] <brownhairgirl> @dbsr, if we stop recording, i have no problem. or use "query"
[22:27] <YogeshJKhandke> outreach/ get to students/ go back to them
[22:27] <srinivas> Question registered from arunram
[22:27] <Sibi> @Yogesh . Given that our , convertion rate of 122 members from the 10% gives us 100% scope for improvement :)
[22:27] <Karthikndr> @arunram: need clarification: engaged membership as in Community for as in the chapter members
[22:28] <YogeshJKhandke> Start College/ institution chapter
[22:28] <YogeshJKhandke> @Sibi lol
[22:28] <arunram> I mean chapter members..... community is always engaged (perhpas not always with the chapter)
[22:28] <Sibi> @yogesh lol :)
[22:28] <arunram> I mean chapter members..... community is always engaged (perhpas not always with the chapter)
[22:28] <Sibi> @yogesh lol :)
[22:29] == Pavithra [67e361df@gateway/web/freenode/ip.103.227.97.223] has quit [Ping timeout: 246 seconds]
[22:29] <Karthikndr> thanks @arunram
[22:29] <stultus> hello all
[22:30] <YogeshJKhandke> need to take Wikipedia to computer literate youths/ college chapters would be fertile recruiting fields
[22:30] * stultus is Hrishikesh K B , Membership ID - INDI - 430

[22:30] <arunram> @sibi @YogeshJKhandke nothing funny....it is a state of affairs that should trouble us all [22:30] <YogeshJKhandke> Hi Hrishikesh
[22:30] <Karthikndr> more benegits...right now, when someone asks us what is the benefit, we don't have any answer... however, we can gove more benefits like the scholarship which we gave this year
[22:31] <YogeshJKhandke> disagree Karthik, we need guys with passion not mercenaries
[22:31] <arunram> Yo welcome @Hrishkesh
[22:31] <YogeshJKhandke> Karthik 4 million articles all written by volunteers
[22:32] <brownhairgirl> Stultus +2 :D
[22:32] <YogeshJKhandke> A zillion edits all by volunteers
[22:32] <ekbal> There are a lot of persons with infectious enthusiasm
[22:32] <Karthikndr> and 1000s applying for scholarship every year
[22:32] <techfiz> Karthikndr: no one need to be members to gain the scholarship unless their contributions are worth to getting one!
[22:32] <Karthikndr> yes
[22:32] <Sibi> @Arunram . First , we need to make them more involved in on-wiki editing . Both English and mother tongue . That would help them get first hand experience of how to work with community . Then gradually involve them into organisational activities like outreach . It must give them a sense of belonging of "our movement" . Then there would be meaningful word called as "member"
[22:32] <Karthikndr> ofcos contributions will be taken into consideration
[22:32] <Karthikndr> and I just gave an example
[22:33] <YogeshJKhandke> @Sibi agree
[22:33] <Karthikndr> Yogesh, do you consider all applying for Wikimania scholarshops as mercenaries
[22:33] <Karthikndr> ?????
[22:33] <anivar> Anyway Official Meeting time is over . lets close the meeting
[22:33] <anivar> officilly
[22:33] <brownhairgirl> so soon ? why ?
[22:34] <arunram> dear candidates, members get inspired by game changing and inspirational projects and a supportive leadership
[22:34] <anivar> Announced time is 9.00-10.30 and it is over . You can continue to chat and discuss here . But it will not be part of election log
[22:34] <YogeshJKhandke> Give me one example Karthik
[22:34] <Karthikndr> @techfiz: last time, both the scholarship receipients name were taken from WMF where they were in rejected list
[22:34] <srinivas> The meeting can be formally declared closed now
[22:34] <anivar> Thank you all for participating
[22:34] <Karthikndr> they were ranked in top and thus they were granted...
[22:34] <ekbal> bye happy to meet you all hope to meet some whom I have not met so far in the real world as well good night best wishes
[22:34] <YogeshJKhandke> Thanks organisers
[22:35] <YogeshJKhandke> Bye Ekbal ji
[22:35] <arunram> @anirvar give us another 5 mins please
[22:35] == webchatwmin_ [0ec2a31f@gateway/web/freenode/ip.14.194.163.31] has joined #wikimedia-in
[22:35] <mangalat> bye, happy to meet you all and to participate in this IRC
[22:35] <srinivas> Thanks to candidates and members who joined
[22:35] <Netha> Thank you for the questions, good night/day everyone!
[22:35] <YogeshJKhandke> Karthik example of one Scholar profile please
[22:35] <Sibi> Thank you organisers , members who put forward the question and fellow candidates .
[22:36] <Karthikndr> User:Kondi and User:Thamizhpparathi
[22:36] <srinivas> We will officially record current set.
[22:36] <YogeshJKhandke> Hope you take the Q&A Netha ji
[22:36] <techfiz> Karthikndr: thanks for the update. Just wanted to ensure that "What we get" part is not just answered through the scholarship offers. It has to be beyond.
[22:36] <YogeshJKhandke> a link would be appreciated Karthik
[22:36] == gem [~nandaja@122.167.89.39] has quit [Quit: This computer has gone to sleep]
[22:36] <arunram> Thanks to all the candidates for your responses and fellow members for participation
[22:37] <Karthikndr> email was sent to the India mailing list announcing list
[22:37] <webchatwmin_> hmmm. looks like IRC is ended. managed to join just now. poor internet connections.
[22:37] <Karthikndr> please feel free to get the log from archieves
[22:37] == mangalat [75ce0dd7@gateway/web/freenode/ip.117.206.13.215] has quit [Quit: Page closed]
[22:37] <webchatwmin_> arunram: any logs available?
[22:37] <arunram> And of course our colleagues from the elecom for putting this together @srinivas @anivar
[22:37] == Netha [74cb9437@wikipedia/Netha-Hussain] has quit [Quit: Page closed]
[22:37] <arunram> @srinivas please publish this log
[22:37] <techfiz> Thanks all for your answers. I shall read through the initial log once it goes live.
[22:37] <techfiz> Good night
[22:38] == ekbal [75ce2eaa@gateway/web/freenode/ip.117.206.46.170] has quit [Quit: Page closed]
[22:38] <Viswaprabha> Thank you all and good night from myself. "-)
[22:38] == Sowmyan [7ab2f1b9@gateway/web/freenode/ip.122.178.241.185] has quit [Quit: Page closed]