- Grant contact name
- Grant contact username or email
- Grant contact title (position)
- Event Co-ordinator
- Project lead name
- Project lead username or email
- Project lead title (position), if any
- Event Co-ordinator
- Full project name
- Tenth Anniversary of Malayalam Wikipedia -Wiki@TEC
- Amount requested (in INR)
- Provisional target start date
- Provisional completion date
|Malayalam Wikipedia 10th Anniversary - Wiki@TEC|
|1. Pre-event expenses|
|1.1||Printing of Malayalam WP Guide||20||500||10,000||A 40 page dummy 1/4 size guide to introduce new users to Wikipedia as well as help them to edit Wikipedia pages, prepared by the active Malayalam Wikipedia community on CC-SA; printed in Malayalam.|
|1.2||Printing of display banners||300||2||600|
|1.3||Stickers||2||1000||2000||Stickers of Wikipedia globe logo with caption "Wikipedia" in Malayalam. To be distributed to participants and students. Any remaining stock will be used for future programs.|
|2. Wikipedia Training session (Wiki@TEC)|
|2.2||Snacks & Beverages||20||50||1,000|
|2.3||Venue Rent etc.||500||1||500|
|2.4||Projector & PA System||500||1||500|
|2.6||Facilitators & Labor||300||1||300|
|2.7||Prize Money for WikiQuiz||1000||1||1000||Three prizes costing Rs. 500, Rs. 300 and Rs. 200 to be awarded to the winners of a Quiz competition for the participating students during Workshop.|
|3. Wiki@TEC Club Formation|
|Total Estimated expenses(Rs.)||18150|
The event is conducted as part of the tenth anniversary celebrations of Malayalam Wikipedia. At the end of an effective introduction and training to the Wikipedia, we intend to form a Students & teachers club at the college to support, promote and contribute to the Wikimedia projects.
The tenth anniversary itself is an effective opportunity for considerable and massive outreach by way of news reports and features in mass media (print, audio and visual) as well as online channels. Apart from introducing a lot of common public to the concept of Wikipedia (both as readers and editors), it also rejuvenates the spirits and passion of the existing user base. The Malayalam community has shown excellent unity and togetherness during all such off-line programs held until now. They consider that the opportunity to meet and interact with each other during such occasions, is a sort of reward for the efforts they have put into Wikipedia projects.
This particular event is aimed at bringing an important educational institute of the state to the forefront of Wikipedia activities. As organizers, my team (consisting of several supporting and active Wikipedians and students of the college) will garner the infrastructural and logistic resources to accomplish the envisaged mission. We are devoting all possible times for this cause. We will also be participating throughout during these events.
The event consists of two principal items:
1. Wikipedia introduction and training workshop
This is a long half-day session presenting Wikipedia to an invited audience of students and teachers from Govt. Engineering College, Thrissur as well as a few neighboring colleges.
The total participants are expected to be 100 at present. However, this number may vary substantially due to holidays and examination schedules. We are thinking of a user-friendly system for advance registration procedure.
Though the workshop will be very brief and focused, it is intended to enthuse curiosity and passion onto the attendees.
2. Wiki@TEC Club formation
At the end of an effective introduction and training to the Wikipedia, we intend to form a students & teachers club at the college to support, promote and contribute to the Wikimedia projects. The students will be picked up on a self-volunteering basis. A small committee will be formed to co-ordinate and execute club activities. It may also incorporate a few guides and advisors from Wikipedia open community. The club will do the following activities:
Malayalam Wikipedia volunteers are very happy and thrilled to meet these wonderful people closely, spending some quality time and learn together!
- Commemorate the tenth anniversary of creating Malayalam Wikipedia.
- Use the occasion as a vehicle for effective outreach to the students of the college
- Introduce new readers, users and editors to Wikimedia projects
- Form a Wikipedia Club at the college.
The club, provisionally named as "Wiki@TEC", shall have the following objectives:
- Enrich Wikipedia content by contributions from subject matter experts (various engineering faculties)
- Support local WP communities and projects, assist and facilitate them for workshops and other activities
- Consistently interact with the inmates of the college and absorb more members
- Find out ways to use Wikipedia information as part of their course study material
- Act as an interface and conduit between college and the community for greater goals such as language computing and knowledge empowerment of common public.
- Reinforce the belief and trust in Wikipedia among its chronic users.
The club will conduct periodic meet-ups, discussions, reviews and dedicated collaboration sessions through mini-projects. We will form a committee which shall re-constitute every academic year. Club will also formulate and vet a by-law by the adherence of which, it shall continue to perform. Club will have a registered set of members.
As the project is initiated by local Wikipedia volunteers and in-house students, we do not require any assistance from the chapter in terms of manpower! However, one of the members from the chapter executive committee has offered to assist us in providing the complete financial and other support from the chapter and physically participate throuhout the event.
A major portion of the money in the budget is earmarked for printing a guidebook for Wikipedia editing in Malayalam. The book, authored by ML WP community members has been very popular and helpful for new and aspiring Wikipedians.
Another item intended to be supplied is small stickers of 5cm x 5cm, printed with a Wikipedia logo and the word "Wikipedia" in Malayalam. We are printing this locally in large numbers and supplying them to any potential Wikipedia user. They can use this sticker on mobile phones, school stationary and other such materials. It is expected to arouse interest and curiosity among students and common public.
If any portions of the funds that may be allocated to us are unused, we also intend to use the same for producing such books and stickers in more quantity. We request the chapter that this may be allowed automatically.
We also request any official permission that may be required to use the logo and trade name for the above purpose without any commercial or competitive intentions.
Fit to strategy
Please see the Project Scope above.
Please see the Project Scope above.
Measures of success
- Number and quality of participants in the events.
- Reflections and waves of the event in mass media reports and other channels of outreach
- Enhanced number of active users (both readers and editors)
- More uploads and content addition to Wikimedia repositories
- Reflections from the participants by way of blog posts and other social networks
- Added participation in the succeeding events conducted and related to Wikipedia/Wikimedia, esp. its Malayalam editions.
Team members (optional)
<--..add more here..-->