Grants/Photo and Article Competition and Wiki Workshop on 10-th Anniversary of Assamese Wikipedia
- Grant contact name
- Uddip Talukdar
- Grant contact username or email
- Grant contact title (position)
- Project lead name
- Jyoti Prakash Nath
- Project lead username or email
- Project lead title (position), if any
- Full project name
- Photo and Article Competition and Wiki Workshop on 10-th Anniversary of Assamese Wikipedia
- Amount requested (in INR)
- Provisional target start date
- Provisional completion date
- Prizes for the Photo Competition, (1st, 2nd, 3rd, Book Packs Worth 900, 700, and 400 Rupees ): 2000/-
- Prizes for the Article Competition, (1st, 2nd, 3rd, Book Packs Worth 900, 700, and 400 Rupees ): 2000/-
- Certificates of merit to the winners of competition (prizes as most prolific contributor, best photograph in the architecture, wild life, etc. are planned and similarly for articles besides the best 3 prizes): 2000/-
- Hall booking (We are contacting educational institutions, for free space).
- Equipment (Digital projector etc, we are contacting educational institutions, for free equipment).
- Light snacks for the attendees (about 100 guests are expected, as rupees 15 per person): 1500/-
- Stationary cost: (cost of printing and mailing of information brochure to various institutions, printing booklets for the workshop): 1000/-
This project aims to make more people interested to contribute to Assamese Wikipedia by organizing a photography competition along with an Article Competition. As planned, a competition will be held among photographs submitted to Assamese Wikipedia during the project period. The subject of the photographs would be Assam and only informative photos will be included in the competition. The photographs will be judged by a team of professional photographers and the best photos would be awarded. Similarly, an article competition would be held, The best articles contributed to the Assamese Wikipedia will be awarded. Publicity for the event will be done in print media and internet and also direct communication to educational institutions. It is hoped that this competition would draw people towards Wikipedia and they would remain attached. The prizes would be distributed in the Wiki Workshop to be held on the occasion of 10-th Anniversary of Assamese Wikipedia, which is scheduled on 10-th June, 2012.
To increase media related to Assam in the Wikipedia and to increase the number of editors in Assamese Wikipedia. To encourage people to engage in activities to collect and share information through Wikipedia.
Fit to strategy
- Increasing reach as more people will come to know about Wikipedia and it's scope.
- The brochures for the event have been prepared such that it not only serve as a contest information, but also depicts the goal of Wikipedia. Article competition is been held keeping in mind the collaborative nature of Wikipedia and due stress has been given about how to write quality articles for Wikipedia. So, it is believed that participants would gain knowledge about the ways Wikipedia work, it's usefulness and how to make Assamese Wikipedia better.
- All competition entries would be a part of Assamese Wikipedia, so, it would be significant addition of contents. It should also address the current issue of difficulty in finding proper media to be added to the articles.
- The prize distribution ceremony is planned to be held in an Wiki Workshop. This would give us scope to meet contestants face-to-face and to motivate them to continue contributing to the Wikipedia.
- The same meeting would also enable us to meet prominent personalities in the field of photography and other personalities, which would help to draw media attention towards Wikipedia.
It is noted that baring a very few most of the information based article presented in Assamese print media are not written with an encyclopedic viewpoint. Most such articles are written without reference, and written with a biased view. Thus, most people are prone to consider such articles as standards. We hope that a successful completion of this project would bring at least to some people the ideas of neutrality, importance of citation, and above all will encourage them to think logically and follow the idea of gaining knowledge and distribute free knowledge.
Measures of success
One plain measure would the number of photographs and articles submitted for the contribution. Also, the number of new active users following the event would indicate the awareness it has created.
(These persons will work as the core committee. There will be other members as Judges for the competitions, volunteers for the Wiki Workshp etc.)
- Uddip Talukdar (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Jyoti Prakash Nath (email@example.com)
- Bishnu Saikia
- Gitartha Bordoloi (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Anjal Bora