New user account creation has been disabled temporarily. Contact membership at wikimedia.in (via e-mail) if you need one.

Election IRC Jul2012

From Wikimedia India Chapter
Jump to: navigation, search
Error creating thumbnail:
libgomp: Thread creation failed: Resource temporarily unavailable
India EC Elections 2012
* Elections 2012
* Announcement
* Nomination process
* Candidates (9)
* Connect: Candidate IRC, Q&A
* Results
* Archive: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
  • [20:58] == arjunaraoc [3b5c89bc@gateway/web/freenode/ip.59.92.137.188] has joined #wikimedia-in
  • [21:01] <@Theo10011> It's 9
  • [21:01] <arjunaraoc> Hi
  • [21:01] <@Theo10011> hey arjunaraoc
  • [21:01] <arjunaraoc> Waiting for Gautam/Sundar to start
  • [21:02] == Gautam [7aa7541b@gateway/web/freenode/ip.122.167.84.27] has joined #wikimedia-in
  • [21:02] <Gautam> *waves hello*
  • [21:02] <arjunaraoc> Hi Gautam
  • [21:02] <@Theo10011> wavessssssss
  • [21:02] <Gautam> Sorry. These reCaptcha's are getting crazier and crazier.
  • [21:03] * srikanthlogic waves
  • [21:03] <arjunaraoc> Gautam: +1
  • [21:03] <Gautam> So wait another 12 mins and then start?
  • [21:03] <arjunaraoc> you mean 1-2 minutes
  • [21:04] <Gautam> 9:15 but happy to start whenever.
  • [21:04] <Gautam> Don't have many people. Hence.
  • [21:06] <arjunaraoc> I am not sure more will turn up, if we wait. It is better we do not penalise the on time attendees,
  • [21:06] <@Theo10011> it's basically 3-4 people then.
  • [21:06] <Gautam> Indeed.
  • [21:06] <Gautam> So happy to start
  • [21:07] <Gautam> There's Ajuna from the EC and me from the, well, EC where E = elections
  • [21:07] <Gautam> Fire away!
  • [21:07] == nfrancis [~chatzilla@180.151.40.138] has joined #wikimedia-in
  • [21:08] <arjunaraoc> I think Anirudh is online as well.
  • [21:08] <nfrancis> hi
  • [21:08] <arjunaraoc> Hi Naveen
  • [21:08] == nfrancis has changed nick to naveenpf
  • [21:08] <naveenpf> hi arjuna
  • [21:08] <Gautam> Hi Naveen.
  • [21:09] <arjunaraoc> freakofmimsy: Are you on chat?
  • [21:09] <freakofmimsy> Yes, I'm here!
  • [21:09] <arjunaraoc> thx
  • [21:09] <naveenpf> hi gautam
  • [21:09] <Gautam> So three EC members and me.
  • [21:09] == tinucherian [~tinucheri@115.242.237.129] has joined #wikimedia-in
  • [21:10] == tinucherian [~tinucheri@115.242.237.129] has quit [Changing host]
  • [21:10] == tinucherian [~tinucheri@wikimedia/Tinucherian] has joined #wikimedia-in
  • [21:10] == AshLin [7beca8ab@gateway/web/freenode/ip.123.236.168.171] has joined #wikimedia-in
  • [21:10] <arjunaraoc> Is Srikanthlogic online?
  • [21:10] <AshLin> Hi
  • [21:10] <arjunaraoc> Hi AshLin
  • [21:10] <AshLin> :)
  • [21:10] <tinucherian> hi folks..
  • [21:10] <arjunaraoc> Hi tinucherian
  • [21:10] <AshLin> Hi Tinu
  • [21:10] <freakofmimsy> hi ashlin
  • [21:10] <naveenpf> hi tinu/ashlin
  • [21:11] <freakofmimsy> hi naveen, gautam
  • [21:11] <AshLin> Hi all, :)
  • [21:11] <srikanthlogic> arjunaraoc: yes
  • [21:11] <arjunaraoc> Gautam: Can you share the scope for the IRC discussion once to refresh everyone?
  • [21:12] <arjunaraoc> thx srikanthlogic
  • [21:12] <Gautam> Sure!
  • [21:12] <Gautam> The idea is to spend the next 48 minutes calrifying:
  • [21:12] <Gautam> *clarifying
  • [21:12] <Gautam> 1. The role of EC and what is expected of EC members etc. [Exec. Com]
  • [21:13] <Gautam> 2. The nomination and election process.
  • [21:13] <Gautam> It's worrying to see we don't have a single candidate yet for 5 open positions. http://wiki.wikimedia.in/Nominations_for_the_Executive_Committee
  • [21:13] <arjunaraoc> Gautam: The reason could be there is plenty of time before the due date.
  • [21:13] <Gautam> And in light of recent developments, a fully staffed and functional Chapter is imperative.
  • [21:14] <Gautam> Possibly, @arjunaraoc
  • [21:14] <tinucherian> Honestly, it is a real concern... considering the last year's experience
  • [21:14] <arjunaraoc> BTW, Gautam: Will this be logged and stored on Wiki?
  • [21:15] <Gautam> If someone can let me know how to do it, I shall do so. PM me, please.
  • [21:15] <arjunaraoc> Gautam: I can help with that.
  • [21:16] <Gautam> Thanks, Arjuna.
  • [21:16] <Gautam> It'd be wonderful if community members could reach out to those they believe will make good EC members and ask them to stand. And nominate them too.
  • [21:16] <arjunaraoc> tinucherian: we are in a much better shape this year. I am optimistic of a good outcome.
  • [21:17] <tinucherian> Agreed.
  • [21:17] == Sundar [~Oligoglot@117.192.35.28] has joined #wikimedia-in
  • [21:18] <arjunaraoc> Hi Sundar
  • [21:18] <Sundar> Hi Arjuna
  • [21:18] <Sundar> Sorry for the delay
  • [21:19] <freakofmimsy> hi sundar
  • [21:19] == Abhi_ [75db6733@gateway/web/freenode/ip.117.219.103.51] has joined #wikimedia-in
  • [21:19] <arjunaraoc> Since there were concerns about several of the EC members stepping down, people can also ask questions about the same.
  • [21:20] == marchingant [cb7a1407@gateway/web/freenode/ip.203.122.20.7] has joined #wikimedia-in
  • [21:20] == Anoop [cb06d386@gateway/web/freenode/ip.203.6.211.134] has joined #wikimedia-in
  • [21:20] <arjunaraoc> I have responded on the mailing list. If there are any follow ups, I can take up as well.
  • [21:20] <marchingant> hello
  • [21:20] <tinucherian> Much of my reasons are shared across by my blog post.
  • [21:21] <marchingant> Just wanted to know who all are eligible to contest for elections
  • [21:21] <Gautam> "There are 76 members who are on the membership roll as on 23 June 2012 and are eligible to participate in the Election and contest the Election (as per by-laws,based on the date of election and AGM scheduled for 23 Sep 2012)"
  • [21:21] <arjunaraoc> Gautam: can you respond to marchingant please?
  • [21:22] <Gautam> So, #marchingant, if your membership is within that date, you can contest and vote.
  • [21:22] <AshLin> Friends, government terms & conditions prevent me from taking up positions till I retire in 2016, otherwise I would surely have stood forth to serve.
  • [21:22] <Gautam> (A question - how do I tag a participant in a message? This doesn't seem to work like Twitter...)
  • [21:22] <freakofmimsy> marchingant, provided that you are over 18 years of age
  • [21:22] <marchingant> what if I haven't registered yet?
  • [21:22] <marchingant> as in renewed membership
  • [21:22] <freakofmimsy> gautam, just use their nick
  • [21:23] <srikanthlogic> Gautam: few chars of nick and tab
  • [21:23] <arjunaraoc> AshLin: Understood. When we were processing FCRA, that was one question the officials wanted to know.
  • [21:23] <tinucherian> srikanthlogic: I never knew this.. Thanks for this tip
  • [21:23] <Gautam> Aha! Thanks.
  • [21:23] <freakofmimsy> marchingant, if you haven't renewed your member ship or registered yourself prior 23 June 2012 you are ineligible
  • [21:23] <marchingant> Ah, very nice.
  • [21:24] <marchingant> That registrations couldn't happen online hasn't helped much
  • [21:24] <marchingant> but, thanks for the information
  • [21:24] <srikanthlogic> tinucherian: welcome :)
  • [21:25] <arjunaraoc> marchingant: Hope that the new EC will move the registration online and clear that hurdle for future.
  • [21:25] == naveenpf_ [~chatzilla@180.151.40.138] has joined #wikimedia-in
  • [21:25] <marchingant> Yeah, will wait for another year I guess
  • [21:26] <marchingant> Just a side question, more so a suggestion, maybe the chapter can consider offering intern positions?
  • [21:26] <marchingant> Many young people get excited at the prospect of doing volunteer work with Wikipedia
  • [21:27] == naveenpf [~chatzilla@180.151.40.138] has quit [Ping timeout: 240 seconds]
  • [21:27] == naveenpf_ has changed nick to naveenpf
  • [21:28] <arjunaraoc> marchingant: BTW, in case of insufficient nominations, it is possible for members who joined subsequent to 23 June and or community members who have not joined to be coopted by the EC. Meaning EC can invite such people, give them membership and have them join EC.
  • [21:28] <AshLin> Naveen, why are you quitting? You've done a great job!
  • [21:28] <tinucherian> marchingant: Regardless of the being an EC member of not, there are lots of ways to helping the chapter to grow http://wiki.wikimedia.in/City_and_Language_SIG_subcommittee_chair
  • [21:28] <marchingant> Alrighty. There is a ray of hope then.
  • [21:28] <AshLin> yeah, I second that
  • [21:28] <marchingant> tinucherian is everyone eligible to become SIG? All chapter members?
  • [21:28] <arjunaraoc> marchingant: It may be better for you to reapply and be a member, if you are interested in potential opportunity to serve on EC.
  • [21:29] <marchingant> Yes, I've been caught up with things so, will send my DD soon
  • [21:30] <tinucherian> anyone can be a SIG member, but is wud be nice and beneficial to have a person who is an active member of that SIG to be the chair
  • [21:30] <srikanthlogic> naveenpf: AshLin asked about you decision to quit. any specific reasons ?
  • [21:30] == AndChat|710400 [~Oligoglot@27.61.21.5] has joined #wikimedia-in
  • [21:30] <tinucherian> btw since the topic is about elections and EC, we may return to the same
  • [21:30] <naveenpf> personal and professional commitments ... ashlin.
  • [21:31] <AshLin> :(. was hoping that you would be around, then I would not have worried
  • [21:31] <naveenpf> definitely yes
  • [21:31] <marchingant> tinucherian there is no conflict of interest problem there, I hope
  • [21:31] <tinucherian> interest matters than conflict of interests :)
  • [21:32] == sudhanwa [~sudhanwa@117.195.35.223] has joined #wikimedia-in
  • [21:33] == Sundar [~Oligoglot@117.192.35.28] has quit [Ping timeout: 248 seconds]
  • [21:33] <arjunaraoc> marchingant: not sure about your affiliation. As per election rules, people being paid for their time by WMF or its affiliaties are not eligible to serve on chapter positions.
  • [21:34] <sudhanwa> Hi
  • [21:34] <AshLin> hi sudhanwa
  • [21:34] <Abhi_> Hi
  • [21:34] == marchingant_ [cb7a1407@gateway/web/freenode/ip.203.122.20.7] has joined #wikimedia-in
  • [21:35] <srikanthlogic> in the interest of potential candidates, can each of EC member put down how many hours a week roughly you guys put for chapter work?
  • [21:35] == arunram [~arunram@112.79.40.195] has joined #wikimedia-in
  • [21:35] == arunram_ [~arunram@112.79.40.195] has joined #wikimedia-in
  • [21:35] <arjunaraoc> srikanthlogic: good question
  • [21:35] == marchingant [cb7a1407@gateway/web/freenode/ip.203.122.20.7] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds]
  • [21:35] <arjunaraoc> let me attempt, others can add to it.
  • [21:36] <arjunaraoc> We have EC conf calls once in two weeks for 1 to 1:30 hour.
  • [21:36] <arunram> Hi everyone
  • [21:36] <tinucherian> Hi arun
  • [21:36] <AshLin> Hi, @Arunram
  • [21:36] <srikanthlogic> arunram: hello
  • [21:36] <naveenpf> hello arun
  • [21:37] <arunram> Sorry folks am late, still at work
  • [21:37] <arjunaraoc> There will be preparation and follow ups after that anywhere from 2 hours.
  • [21:37] <arjunaraoc> to four hours.
  • [21:37] <srikanthlogic> volume of mails on ec list will also help in giving rough estime of time per day.. ( though this might change with potentially a whole new EC)
  • [21:38] <Gautam> arjunaraoc: "as per election rules, people being paid for their time by WMF or its affiliaties are not eligible to serve on chapter positions." Does that include SIGs?
  • [21:38] <arjunaraoc> Gautam: Yes
  • [21:38] == Theo10011_a [~Theo10011@59.180.107.176] has joined #wikimedia-in
  • [21:38] <arunram> Hi @ naveenpf @ashlin @srikanthlogic @tinucherian
  • [21:38] == AndChat|710400 [~Oligoglot@27.61.21.5] has quit [Read error: Connection reset by peer]
  • [21:38] <freakofmimsy> srikanthlogic, it varies according to different individuals and their capacity to do volunteer work
  • [21:38] <naveenpf> and depending on the membership forms and donation forms coming in time commitment will increase .. :)
  • [21:38] == Theo10011 [~Theo10011@wikimedia/Theo10011] has quit [Disconnected by services]
  • [21:38] == Theo10011_a has changed nick to Theo10011
  • [21:39] <srikanthlogic> Gautam: though there was some exception in case of Noopur (I remember someone else raised this)
  • [21:39] == Theo10011 [~Theo10011@59.180.107.176] has quit [Changing host]
  • [21:39] == Theo10011 [~Theo10011@wikimedia/Theo10011] has joined #wikimedia-in
  • [21:39] <Gautam> arjunaraoc: Interesting. Given how few SIG chairs there are, it makes little sense to have that rule. On the EC, I can understand but otherwise it doesn't tally. It's not like there are vast numbers of people.
  • [21:39] <arjunaraoc> 4-8 hours per week would be typical. People service as officebearer(President/Secretary/Treasurer may have to put in more time based on needs
  • [21:39] == tinucherian_ [~tinucheri@116.197.178.83] has joined #wikimedia-in
  • [21:40] <srikanthlogic> Gautam: people who want to work, can do it even without being in SIG no? as a community volunteer anyway..
  • [21:40] <arjunaraoc> Of course, as we are better off financially, hiring one or two people can reduce the workload for administrative responsibilities.
  • [21:40] == tinucherian [~tinucheri@wikimedia/Tinucherian] has quit [Ping timeout: 244 seconds]
  • [21:41] == tinucherian_ has changed nick to tinucherian
  • [21:41] == marchingant [cb7a1407@gateway/web/freenode/ip.203.122.20.7] has joined #wikimedia-in
  • [21:41] == Anoop [cb06d386@gateway/web/freenode/ip.203.6.211.134] has quit [Quit: Page closed]
  • [21:41] <srikanthlogic> arjunaraoc: thanks! might be useful for those willing to contest.. and of course salutes the previous EC for that work :)
  • [21:41] == marchingant_ [cb7a1407@gateway/web/freenode/ip.203.122.20.7] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds]
  • [21:41] <Gautam> srikanthlogic: Always. But that doesn't answer the question. What logical basis is there of debarring WMF paid employees from holding SIG positions. Anyways, I assume the EC has it's reasons which we aren't privy to.
  • [21:41] == tinucherian [~tinucheri@116.197.178.83] has quit [Changing host]
  • [21:41] == tinucherian [~tinucheri@wikimedia/Tinucherian] has joined #wikimedia-in
  • [21:41] <freakofmimsy> Just so that it's clear, the chapter cannot hire anyone full-time through a grant from the GAC
  • [21:41] <freakofmimsy> *Grants Advisory Committee (GAC)
  • [21:42] <arjunaraoc> freakofmimsy: I do not think so.
  • [21:42] == kondi [75c44f1a@wikimedia/kondicherry] has joined #wikimedia-in
  • [21:42] <tinucherian> arjunaraoc: +1
  • [21:42] == shantanoo [~shantanoo@p3m/member/shantanoo] has joined #wikimedia-in
  • [21:42] <Gautam> From my year on the EC, I can say that it isn't as much work as one might think but more work than one can do over the course of a few hours a week. Meaning, it's worth spending a few hours a few days a week.
  • [21:42] <naveenpf> +1 arjuna
  • [21:42] <AshLin> Gautam: Wecannot know f conflict of interest can arise
  • [21:42] <arjunaraoc> freakofmimsy: we can discuss offline and issue a clarification.
  • [21:43] <Gautam> AshLin: So it's better not to have *anyone* than find a way to deal with potential CoI issues? That's throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
  • [21:43] <naveenpf> Argentina is recruiting its Executive director this year https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:WM_AR/Annual_Program_Plan_2012
  • [21:44] == Theo10011_a [~Theo10011@59.180.111.2] has joined #wikimedia-in
  • [21:44] <arjunaraoc> Gautam: Since EC has deliberated on COI and also provided an opportunity for feedback from members and community, we can move on to other questions.
  • [21:45] <AshLin> Gautam : you have a point there
  • [21:45] <freakofmimsy> Yeah, but soon we'll have the FDC+GAC model, under which (AFAIK) full-time staff cannot be hired
  • [21:45] <Gautam> Anyways, any questions on the elections?
  • [21:45] == Theo10011 [~Theo10011@wikimedia/Theo10011] has quit [Disconnected by services]
  • [21:45] == Theo10011_a has changed nick to Theo10011
  • [21:45] == Theo10011 [~Theo10011@59.180.111.2] has quit [Changing host]
  • [21:45] == Theo10011 [~Theo10011@wikimedia/Theo10011] has joined #wikimedia-in
  • [21:46] <Gautam> I think it's worth pointing out, as arjunaraoc did, that it the event we do not have sufficient nominations, the EC can pick people to fill the spot till the next elections. Or even pick existing EC members to continue. All via the nomination process.
  • [21:46] <Gautam> But the ideal method would be to have elections and have the members choose.
  • [21:47] <sudhanwa> From my personal experience, I can say that whatever the time frame we are talking - 4-8hrs per week - it could be more many times.
  • [21:47] <Gautam> Reminder! 14 minutes till end!
  • [21:48] <Gautam> A question to the current EC: What are some of the joys and some of the challenges of the role?
  • [21:48] <arjunaraoc> Gautam: a bit of clarification: Co-option is usually through EC discussion, If Elecom can help, it can be considered.
  • [21:48] == Karthikndr [7c9bfbf4@gateway/web/freenode/ip.124.155.251.244] has joined #wikimedia-in
  • [21:48] <Gautam> arjunaraoc: By EC I meant Exec. Com. Not Elec. Com. We need better acronyms.
  • [21:48] <arunram> Gautam
  • [21:48] <arjunaraoc> Gautam: +1
  • [21:48] <Gautam> arunram: Hello!
  • [21:48] <arunram> I can share some poonters
  • [21:49] <marchingant> ^_^
  • [21:49] <marchingant> sure, please do arunram
  • [21:49] <arunram> One can learn how a non profit works
  • [21:50] <arunram> The way a EC works, collaborative decision making,
  • [21:50] <arunram> Driving a consensus in teams
  • [21:50] <AshLin> Could we have closing summaries/reports from each EC member who has quit especially regarding the responsibility he/she was dealing with
  • [21:50] <srikanthlogic> Gautam: why is there is not a change in EC (Elec Comm) ;) //you know what I mean..
  • [21:50] <marchingant> ^_^
  • [21:51] <arunram> Working with teams to manage and meet expectations
  • [21:51] <Gautam> srikanthlogic: What? There is a change, no?
  • [21:51] <srikanthlogic> Gautam: why you no stand in election was the hidden kostin in that..
  • [21:51] <marchingant> +100
  • [21:51] <arunram> Learning how accounting and statutory compliance are met
  • [21:52] <Gautam> srikanthlogic: "Theirs not to reason why,/theirs but to do and die"
  • [21:52] <Gautam> @srik
  • [21:52] <arunram> Dealing and copies from with divergent views and at times conflict
  • [21:52] <Gautam> srikanthlogic: Oh! That way. Nothing has changed since last year. Have less time to do more things now that I did. Maybe in 2015. Who knows.
  • [21:52] <AshLin> arunram : right on
  • [21:53] <marchingant> I think AshLin s question be very pertinent
  • [21:53] <srikanthlogic> Gautam: ah okay..
  • [21:53] <arunram> Feels good when u can assist volunteers with infrastructure and any other support for projecgs
  • [21:53] <marchingant> arunram +1000
  • [21:53] <arunram> The challenges are.....
  • [21:53] <Gautam> EC: What were the highlights and the low-points for the last two years?
  • [21:54] <arunram> Balancing personal and Wikipedia priorities. Sometimes one doesn't wait for the other
  • [21:54] <arjunaraoc> Getting the Chapter up and running and taking it to a stage, where it can grow further is certainly the high point.
  • [21:54] <naveenpf> we didnt get charity status ... had to withdraw ..
  • [21:55] <arunram> At times community mistakes the due process for red tape. Ec needs to drive consensus and speak in one voice
  • [21:55] <arunram> That takes time at times
  • [21:55] <Gautam> Reminder: 5 mins till close.
  • [21:55] <freakofmimsy> naveen, we are registered under the Societies Act, which means we are a charity. I think you are referring to tax exemptions
  • [21:56] <naveenpf> yes .. tax exemptions
  • [21:56] <arjunaraoc> When EC members activity levels drop during certain times or when despite lots of time spent, there no fruitful outcome.
  • [21:56] <naveenpf> lot of effort by Arjuna.
  • [21:56] <AshLin> the delay of EC in supporting WikiConference 2011 is a point for improvement, but I think that is history now
  • [21:57] <arunram> Ec members need to be conduct themselves well at all times no matter the provocation.
  • [21:57] <arunram> That's the list from me
  • [21:57] <AshLin> arunram : absolutely agree
  • [21:57] <Gautam> Thanks arunram
  • [21:57] <marchingant> ^_^
  • [21:58] == kondi [75c44f1a@wikimedia/kondicherry] has quit [Quit: Page closed]
  • [21:58] <marchingant> That's commendable
  • [21:58] <AshLin> Takeaway point : Could we have closing summaries/reports from each EC member who has quit especially regarding the responsibility he/she was dealing with, e.g. Indic languages, GLAm etc
  • [21:59] <Theo10011> marchingant, who are you? I dont recognize that username.
  • [21:59] == mananshah15 [6f77e8b7@gateway/web/freenode/ip.111.119.232.183] has joined #wikimedia-in
  • [21:59] == mode/#wikimedia-in [+o Theo10011] by ChanServ
  • [21:59] <arjunaraoc> Taking on responsibilities that one may not face soon in one's current roles is a joy as well as challenge.
  • [22:00] <arjunaraoc> Stepping beyond one's comfort zone and handling an event, strategy, execution will be a great opportunity to grow your skills.
  • [22:01] <Gautam> Thanks arjunaraoc
  • [22:02] <Gautam> And that concludes this IRC on the EC functioning and upcoming elections. Please do nominate people or yourself. We need good people to lead!
  • [22:02] <arunram> The most important thing for a potential EC member- it is a great opportunity to learn being on a EC - people, priorities, perseverance, applying passion
  • [22:02] <arunram> And join the EC by all means and never give up in between
  • [22:02] == mode/#wikimedia-in [-o Theo10011] by ChanServ
  • [22:03] <arjunaraoc> Feel free to contact Gautam, Sundar and EC member for any questions you may have.
  • [22:03] <freakofmimsy> thanks all
  • [22:03] <arjunaraoc> Thanks all for your participation.
  • [22:03] <arjunaraoc> Bye